In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SL 43 Headstamp Relaoding Question

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
Hey There:

I am reloading for my Garand, and I have a lot of old St. Louis Arsenal 1943 cases for the 30-06.

My problem is this. I can't get primers in them. Wasn't sure if anyone else had this problem, or any suggestions. I could have sworn that I had already relaoded these things SEVERAL times and again. As I was looking at headstamps, I even found a WCC 56 and a FA 30. Talk about brass that's been around the block.
Thanks,
Jamie

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    primer pocket uniformer will help.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    That's brand new!

I have some FA brass from 1904..... that's 30-03 time period!

Still shoots fine! I got it at an antique store for a whopping $3 for 250 WITH ORIGINAL PRIMERS! Some guy had filed it down to 30-06 (badly)..... I finished the job and those that were short cut turned in to 8mm Mauser.

All the original primers went bang.

I have used them solely for light cast bullet loads and some are on their 100th odd reload. No issues, anneal after every 10th firing, have lost maybe 10%. At that rate, I'll be 100 myself before they are all gone.

Primer pocket crimp remover is probably in order..... my SL 43 all had pretty heavy crimps. Either an RCBS pocket swager or if less than say 200, lyman pocket uniformer (hand held tool).
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys. Info worked out PERFECT. Seems only fitting that I get to put these through my GARAND.

This just got me into looking up old headstamps. I've had more fun today looking those up.
    I found a few FA 30's and a WCC 56. Looks like I found something else to tick off the old lady with. :)