In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading the .223

Been working up a load for my 223, I'm using Hornady 50 gr SPSX, I'm up to 24.6 gr of IMR 3031 powder and the case is full, max is 25.7
I've checked 2 differant manuals, weighed the powder charge on 2 differant scales. Is this normal, how do you get a near max load, or am I just overlooking something.

Comments

• Options
    danielsdad7danielsdad7 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At this point and time I do not reload my .223 brass but I do save it. Does the cost of buying a reloading set-up with all the needed goodies out weigh the cost of buying ammo buy the case? I am buying PMC 55gr for 99.00 per 1000.

Please DO NOT turn this into a Wolf VS XXX brand bashing thread.
    Thanks for the info

JBoss......Fear No Fish/peace through superior firepower/The gun manufacturers are not making a dangerous product.
    Bad parents are.
  • Options
    danielsdad7danielsdad7 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am loading the 223 with 55 gr FMJBT with crimpfor my other AR's with 1/9 twist. I have had some real good results but does anyone else load for .223 and what powder (grains) and primers are you using. I have a Colt Match 1 and 7 and I load 62 grain for best results and it is more expensive. I also was wondering about shooting out to 500 yards what is the best loads for both 1/7 and 1/9 twist. One barrel is 20 inches, other is 16 and the other is a 1/9 twist bull barrel 20 inches. Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I load 24.1grs. of RE-15 with a 69gr Sierra and 23.6gr. RE-15 with a 77gr. Nosler for my 1/7 twists AR'S. /the 69's should shoot good out of a 1/9 too.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For 55gr FMJ & Vmax(and 50gr stuff too). I use XMR 2015. I think it is 24.5grs. I'm also getting ready to load some 68gr BTHP with TAC. The old Ramshot data had a max of 25.5gr of TAC the new data has 24something.

I am getting some Ramshot X-terminator to try with the lighter stuff. So far I have not crimped, no need. Also just full length resize, no small base needed.

I use almost exclusively CCI primers in AR's. Very seldom Federal(but almost always in bolt action's for small rifle)
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25.0gr of W748, a 69gr SMK and a CCI 450 primer in my RRA 20', 1/9 twist barrel. Works well for me.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    ditto the 748 load with 69 gr SMK.