In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

28 g reload question

dkhnterdkhnter Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
Rookie reloader here. Purchased a new bottle(1lb) of Hodgdon Universal Clays. Bottom of bottle has a recipe for 28g 3/4, Hull Win.AA, Primer Win 209, Wad Win AA28, powder charge 13.0gr 1200fps. Now, Hodgdon website has the EXACT SAME RECIPE ( exact same components) for 1200fps, but calls for a powder charge of 14.1grains. Just bought a 9000g and I haven't started to reload yet, but I'm already confused as to why the same company has conflicting recipes.

Comments

• Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    13 grains has been the standard 28ga loading for years. I have no doubt that the 14.1 gr loading listed in the manual is ok to use but my feeling is it is probably above the 1200 fps velocity. 13 grain load breaks skeet and sporting targets very well. Also may have to do with the fact that the win aa has changed to a built up hull win AA HS over the old compression formed AA which i am still using and will be for as long as i have a supply of them. I don't care much for the HS hulls.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Just checked the website, they show 13 grains (no 14 listed for that powder)

13 grains is the most common used.
  • Options
    dkhnterdkhnter Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input. I think I figured out the difference. The old timers at the club also say 13grains. However, I will be reloading WinAAHS hulls and according to the Hodgdon's website the High Strength hulls call for 14.1 grains.