In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Long Distance .22 LR

cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
Anyone do any long distance shooting w/ a .22?

Comments

• Options
    VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    I sold my last .22 today as a matter of fact.quote:Originally posted by cccooper
    Anyone do any long distance shooting w/ a .22?
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    our 'plinking' range is 200 yrds+
  • Options
    cccoopercccooper Member Posts: 4,044 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We usually shoot at 50-75 yards and use a paper plate w/ a big x.

Heard of some guys shooting at the levee theother day at Nutrias 500 yards away! Had a spotting scope and a spotter calling the shots.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I routinely shoot at clay birds from 200 yards on my range with 22 rifles.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    NWCID has a Gong and other targets out 250 yards, maybe 225. Pretty fun with regular .22s, but even more fun with his Suppressed Weps!
  • Options
    VinhlongVet71VinhlongVet71 Member Posts: 4,605
    edited November -1
    Daaaayyyyummm! Your good! Are you kin to that Baretta shotgun guy?
    I forget his name,,, I'll find it in a minute.[:D]quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Max shots for me with a .22LR are 100yds. I haven't figured out the drops any farther out than that.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by VinhlongVet71
    Daaaayyyyummm! Your good! Are you kin to that Baretta shotgun guy?
    I forget his name,,, I'll find it in a minute.[:D]quote:Originally posted by bpost1958

Nope, no relation, but it is easy to do once you learn to dope the wind and drop, shooting offhand is the only way to go.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've shot at 5 gallon cans floating in floodwater at 400+ yards. If there's little/no wind, getting the elevation is fairly easy and it's possible to lay the hits right on. I won't say there were lots of hits but quite a few close misses. The lag time is comical.
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    I hunt pine hens with my 22.......... head shots so as I don't get no bbs in my breast meat but I would say the farthest was somewhere in the 40-60 yrd range..........mind you open sights and head shots.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no fan of nutria, but I'd be embarrassed and ashamed to shoot at them, 500 yards, with any rimfire. Assuming the bullet was still going fast enough to penetrate the pelt, placement would have to be some precise for anything but a long slow death. Even rodents deserve better than that. Beyond 75 yards it's only inanimates for my rimfires. If it breathes air it get a centerfire.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    A have a friend/customer who's been doing some penetration testing out to 500 yards with a 22 LR lately and he's been amazed at how well they perform at VERY long distances. It's been very interesting to hear his results.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So to get any accuracy out to the ranges some of you are suggesting. You cant be using your standard bulk ammo. What is your favorite ammo for accuracy at 200 plus yards?
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Curious to average drops at 200yds with standard 22 lr rounds?
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    It's a question of wind and ammo quality, along with glass.

I don't have an issue with shooting a .22 out to 300 if dead calm with match grade ammo and a decent scope.

Try that with 20 mph gusting wind and bulk ammo about the best I'd say is most shots would be on the cardboard 2X2' backer.