In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Which is better?

Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
Between the 300 Lapua and 300 RUM, which catridge would you choose and why? We will assume the same rig so it is more like apples to apples.

Comments

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    300rum brass is far cheaper, which is why I would lean that way. I have a 300RUM built for 1000yd benchrest, and it does perform well. Both are quite large cases for 30cal bullets, and only the slowest pof powders and heavy for caliber bullets make them perform up to their capability. Light bullets are wasted on these huge case capacities.

Lapua brass is more concentric,but with the right case prep, the rum can easily be brought up to equality, and still at a lower cost per case.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC, thanks.

Wanting to pick the brains of any and all that have experience with either of these two cartridges.

I'm sure that there must be more than a few that are familiear with both.

At first the Lapuas (300s and 338s) seemed to be very pricey rigs. Now, with some time, some variety of the rigs, variety of different manufacturers ... I have been seeing some of the prices on different rigs being priced more competitively.

The price of ammo or even the brass is interesting. Seems that the only wise way to go re. ammo, is to self load. But again, that is the only way to go if one wants to know what they have and what they are shooting and how it will work!

Appears that with most, if not all, of the full-bodied, non-belted mags, there is great potential, not the least is for accuracy even at some of the longer distance shooting and hunting if appreciated!