In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hot Shot brass

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
Just tried to decap and resize some Hot Shot brass. Got the decapping pin stuck in the flash hole and broke it off when I pulled the case out. Flash hole is WAAAAAAAAAAY too small for standard decapping pins. be warned: although the brass is boxer primed it is not reloadable for this reason.

Comments

• Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the heads up...
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I never had trouble. Bad lot? What brand of dies?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've also broken decap pins on european brass. My concern with the Hot Shot brass came when I loaded starting loads in 8mm HS brass and found them way too hot for the Mauser I tried them in.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    I never had trouble. Bad lot? What brand of dies?

Lee Collet Neck Sizer die.

I've used Euro brass before (not Hot Shot specifically) and never had a prob until now. It was only 20 pieces, so I'm not out any huge investment. If I'd had more, I would have just got a flash hole reamer and started decapping with a small pistol decapping pin or something to make it worth my while, but if it's only 1 box, I'm not going to sweat it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    I've also broken decap pins on european brass. My concern with the Hot Shot brass came when I loaded starting loads in 8mm HS brass and found them way too hot for the Mauser I tried them in.

How were they too hot if they were just starting loads?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It seems that the brass is quite a bit thicker than domestic brass and/or softer. The loads were fairly mild in Win. brass.