In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hand load ... .308 Norma Magnum ( belted case )

Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
I have a .308 Norma Mag, for which I have no loads worked up. I would appreciate input from folks regarding favorite powder vs bullet wt. loads.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has (or had) this chambering and has worked up favorite loads for your rifle.

Any information appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Schultz & Larsen in this chambering. I haven't found any MOA loads as of yet (and probably won't!). The best I've tried so far:

150 gr. Sierra spt., 74 gr. IMR4350, Norma case, Federal 215 = 3184 fps.

200 gr. Sierra BT, 70 gr. IMR4831, Norma case, Win. WLRM = 2848 fps.

The velocity of the Norma 180 gr. plastic point factory load, over my chronographs, is 2906 fps.

I have not found any 180 gr. loads that I'm satisfied with, yet.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Handloader magazine had an extensive article on the .30 magnums, comparing the .308 Norma, .300 Winchester, and the .30/.338. It was in issue #195, Oct.-Nov., 1998. They do sell back issues. You may wish to try them: www.handloadermagazine.com.
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find the belted cases to be nothing but a reloading problem. If full lenght resized, I get indications of an insipiante head separation on the 3rd firing. If neck sized, it gets harder and harder to chamber a round with each reloading. A partial resizing with just a bump of the shoulder works best for me. Mostly I now just shoot the .280 - no problems at all. I also find that conservative charges help reduce all the problems with the cases, primer pockests last much longer too.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello mbsams!

We agreed on most everything. For myself, I quickly out for myself to space off the shoulders rather than the belt. Had to adjust a few things and muck about somewhat, nothing big. Then do my best to insure that the belts are snug to the back. Or set so that there is no movement and no stretching front to back.

It is backwards from wverything that I had read in reloading books, or even told by more experience reloaders. After the initial adjustments, everything works out perfect. Very difficult to get any stretch between two fixed points. Then all one needs do is clean and neck size some.

Cases seem to last just about for ever. That isn't really so, because I've not reloaded any of them for quite that long ... yet, but many reloads. I just have to replace losses and loaners ... actually, that tends to be the same thing! So far no loose or lost primers. No separations, not on the 7mm Rem. That is how I want to do the .308 Norma also.

PS: I have learned a lot about the .280 many years ago ... it is simple, straight forward, efficient and effective IMHO. Before moving to Alaska had been laying for one.

My brother-in-law was surprised and tickled when we both compared notes. I had figured that he had one too. But no, had a 7mm Rem Mag and used it for years. He felt that it was the cat's meow! He'd used it all over NA (including AK. of course), NZ, Australia, and more than one trip to Africa.)

Even when he offered to help me get one. I was not particularly enthralled by the mags. Did not have any, had not used any, etc. I got out the books, did a good study, a thorough compare and contrast. He and the books swayed me ... and figured that in some situations there might well be an advantage or two, with the both of us using the same cartridges. He argued that line to, but I'd been thinking about that ... before he had come up with that thought or to argue that point.

I got one in a run-of-the-mill Rem 700 ... shot good, then better and now the best so far and no problems, but ... Seemed to have decent barrel and potentials, it started good and just got better. So I have been happy and content, (well, there I go lying again)!

You see, I have a lot of difficulties with that, not the lies, they come naturally. It is just if I say I am happy and content ... what reason or even excuse can I then come up with to justify to anyone, even myself, that I "need" yet another rifle?

I know that the .280 is great! (but ... !

I guess that is why most everyone has more than one ... there just is not that one perfect one. Near perfect, but not quite, and with two, perfect has to be closer, right?

I figure that I can get two, that are each, near perfect and exactly the same, just a little bit different! (That is why I tend to check into the improved ... I love them!

PPS: You wouldn't have that old 7mm Rem Mag just laying about getting dusty and in your way, would you? I could no doubt be talked into getting out of your way, without too much coaxing on your part! I'd keep it clean and out of your way! What you say?

Really, if you have her yet ... play with her and I bet she will repond and surprise you ... now that you know how to make her happy!

Good conversing with you. Take care
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sizing a belted mag to headspace off of the shoulder, eliminates the belt as an issue. I size everything to headspace from the shoulder.

a FL die correctly set, will only bump a shoulder back, even as little as .001". This way, you get case life and well formed cases for that particular chamber.

the 308 Norma Mag is an oddball. Brass is next to impossible to find, and much cheaper/more available brass for comparable chambers is easier to find.

Consider having another barrel fitted to the action you already have, and then you can keep the 308NM barrel, as well as use a 300win mag etc on the same action, while getting similar performance, cheaper and more readily.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a couple of .308 Norma mags, one of which was pretty accurate but with a pencil barrel(nasty recoil). Throat length and shape was my biggest stumbling block. After I got the right OAL that fit both mag and throat, it got simple.