In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Powder measure

Whats the best way to go?
Electronic or mechcanical?

Comments

• k_townmank_townman Member Posts: 3,588
    edited November -1
    Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Scale and Dispenser 110 Volt. Has anyone had experience with this piece of equipment? I've always liked Hornady products and I'm looking to upgrade my loading operation.
    edited November -1
    I have an old powder measure scale (Webster) that is oil dampened. I need to replace the oil and cannot find any information on what type of oil to use. Can anyone give me a suggestion?????

Thanks
    Terry
    edited November -1
    It would seem that powder measure that I was given is not all that accurate. Its a Herter's, that gives you some sense of age to the thing. Its in good shape though. I am using 700x, which is a flake powder.

How much does the accuracy of measurer depend on the powder? As far as mechanical, the powder measure that I have is fine. Should I look at getting another one?
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ktown
    I'v been following these threads about powder dispenser's
    and all three ( RCBS Hornady & Lyman ) have all recieved good reviews , with the exception of 1 or 2 fella's that had problems with one or more of the 3 .But when you make so many , there are bound to be problems with some , that goes for anything

I'm in the market to get one also , but can't make up my mind which one to buy . Guess it's like anything else , you get a good product , or you get a lemmon [:o)]

Myself , I'm leaning to the RCBS , just because all my other equipment is 99% RCBS

Don't think you'll go wrong with any of the 3 though .
    Just MHO
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am in the market too for coming out of the dark ages. I have almost everything in RCBS, but I have used Hornady bullets and loading data forever. I hope someone has one that they can talk about. I would like to have one that is relatively simple to use. I don't think I would ever go to a progressive press, but this is one area where I wouldn't mind a little speed up.
  • carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not been able to find the Hornady LNL yet, but intend to purchase one when I find. (at reasonable price) Have you (any of you) seen them for sale?
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I started with a Lee Safety Scale to check my Lee Disk-o measure's progress and accuracy. Switched to a VERY expensive Redding measure for a while; till I realized that a MEASURE is simply a VOLUME equivalency device, and almost all of them are capable of producing volumetric consistency to about +/- a tenth of a grain if used correctly.
    Now, I use a Lee single stage measure for some of my magnum rifle loads (especially if I'm changing weights or working up a load), but I use my Dillon 550b for everything else. The measure that comes with it is so easy to set & use that I've almost given up trying to wring the last iota of accuracy out of my digital scales, trying to get that last .1 grain by trickling or dipping single flakes of powder.
    When you realize that your loads are really consistent within a batch, or between one load and another; you'll probably kick yourself for not having gone to a Dillon progressive much sooner!
    BTW- my Dillon is manually indexed, and that's the way I like it: I can stop, clear a stage, adjust a die, switch primers, anything without screwing up that next bullet. Just like one of those ancient single stager thingies (but a lot faster and more fun)!
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PACT or RCBS, far less complaints than all other brands. Charge weight consistency is somewhere you don't want to skimp.
  • 1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    Charge weight consistency is somewhere you don't want to skimp.

AMEN to that! I don't look that good anyway, but the last thing I need to do is save $100 and lose fingers or a face. As much as I check and recheck my "ole geezer" scales, I need something I can have some confidence in. I believe you talked me into the RCBS setup.