In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

True or False?

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
I have been told that a 270 Win or 264 Win Mag for use as a long range target rife is completely useless. I said false and was tarred and feathered. What say the real experts? By long Range, I'm referring to 600-1000 yards. Thanks for the replies.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    IMHO the cartridge itself is capable However finding MATCH GRADE BULLETS in these diameters will be a challenge
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are plenty of "match grade" bullets in 6.5/.264; one of the more popular 1000 yard calibers is 6.5x284.

The main thing against the .264 Win Mag for a target rifle is its large powder capacity which gives you high velocity but also short barrel life.

High BC bullets are pretty scarce in .270 although Berger makes a 150 gr VLD with BC .531 which would get you by if you already had a good .270. Not a reason to buy a .270 when you could get a 6.5, 7mm, or .30 cal with better selection, though.
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it capable? - YES.
    Do I love mine? - YES.
    Is this the gun I take for shooting those distances? - NO. I did it to do it, but then got a 7mm Mag, then a 300, and now a 338 Lapua.

I never used to have trouble finding bullets in ANY caliber, but pickins is slim on ANYHING. Easier to find stuff here. That sucks because I MISS a REAL gunshop. Haven't seen one in a long time. Still plenty out there, but not like it used to be.
  • Options
    hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies everybody. The good thing is that I'm not completely wrong, however the bad thing is, is that I was probably more wrong than right. Think maybe I will look around for something used, perhaps a 7mm Mag, 308 WSM, or perhaps a 300 RUM. Guess I'll just have to watch the auctions and see what comes up this summer. Thanks again.