In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hornady Case Wax question

meunkemeunke Member Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just ran a bunch of .270s through my Lee resizer die using Hornady case was a lube.

Question: I've wiped off the outside nice and clean, but do I need to clean out the inside of the case necks? Can I just put them back in the tumbler if so?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always cleaned the inside of the necks myself.

Man am I glad I only have to use case lube for a couple of calibers. [:D]

Jon
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can clean wax lubes if you like but it isn't absolutely required. Wax won't harm powder like oils will, and neck tension isn't all that affected either. You can tumble them for a half-hour if it makes you feel better.

BTW, Hornady Unique Case Lube is exactly the same stuff as Mink Oil Boot Treatment. It is wax, lanolin - and not even a drop of mink oil.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    This is the number one reason I use Lee lube. It truly dries and the residue that's left is more like glued on dust than wax or oil.

I've seen misfires from too much wet Hornady lube left in the case. IF you let it really dry, you're fine, but if you size and load it can be an issue (but so can anything then).

When I do use a waxy or oily lube, one way to remove it is toss the cases in a pot of boiling water with a little soap, drain, rinse. It might leave water spots but they'll be oil free.

You CAN throw back in the tumbler, but if you do watch the flash holes- often get plugged and a pain to clean 1 by 1.