In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Long Range Scope ?

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
O.K. next question by an unexperienced long range shooter. What would be an appropriate power range scope for shooting at 600-1000 yards. I'm talking shooting paper here, no animals. I'm trying to decide if I would like to try and delve into this long range stuff. Ya. I know it would be expensive to say the least. As long as I'm asking questions. Here's another. I have a Sako AV in 338 Win Mag. Just a hunting rifle, but would it suffice, at least to figure out if I want to do this? Thank You

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An 8X32 Burris Signature would do nicely. If you have over 1,500 bucks for a scope, get a NIGHTFORCE NSX 12X42 [:D]......
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Long Range scope is a Leupold 8-25X.

I will look at a Sightron SIII 8-32 the next rifle I scope; if I don't splurge on a Nightforce BR.

I am sure you will get recommendations on other brands.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nightforce NXS, March, IOR Valdada, Leupold LR, etc

the rifle will likely lose accuracy quickly being a pencil barreled rig.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies. As usual, darn good information gets passed around here. I now have some things to chew on, and at least an idea of where I'm at and what I need to get to consider starting down this road.
  • Options
    jaegermisterjaegermister Member Posts: 692 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As important if not more so is the reticle. Thickness and style. A thin crosshair on a medium power scope is better than a thick crosswire on a more powerful scope.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How bout a mil-dot? Or Not?
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I must be old fashioned but 3x9 scopes were alway the ultimate a few years back...
    Whats the big thing with long range scopes?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wpage
    I must be old fashioned but 3x9 scopes were alway the ultimate a few years back...
    Whats the big thing with long range scopes?

better glass, larger tubes, more refined reticles, more precise adjustments, etc etc.
  • Options
    HawksterHawkster Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do a search regarding mil-dot you will encounter some interesting information! When I first started using mil-dot scopes I was somewhat intimidated by the methodology needed to get the most out of them! However, there is a little analog calulator available that comes with a small instruction booklet that simplifies mil-dot use! It is called the "Mil-Dot Master" and costs about twenty bucks. Once you learn how to use the mil-dot system you don't see it as "difficult" anymore, just plain fun! Of course, you could forget about the "ranging" use of the dots and use a laser range finder, or mount a BORS (Barrett Optical Ranging System) on your scope, provided you have a compatible scope! quote:Originally posted by hadjii
    How bout a mil-dot? Or Not?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Hawkster. Seems like I seen one of those gadgets you were talking about. Can't remember where. I have a laser rangefinder, but it's only a Nikom rifleman, which I believe is only a 500 yard/meter unit. I went to Midway and looked at all the options they offered. I'm leaning towards a Burris Signature in 8-32 or a Bushnell Elite in 8-32. I don't want to go to crazy. First off, I doubt I could ever be a good enough shot to give anybody any competition, and secondly, with having horses and cows as well, I have a pretty full plate of other things to divide my time, and not to mention 3 teenage daughters and a wife to keep satisfied. Gotta love life though. It is interesting. LOL