In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Working Up Loads

bperdue21bperdue21 Member Posts: 1,457 ✭✭
What is your process?

I take 20 casings and load them up with 4 different loads of the same powder and mark them with a sharpie, so I have 4 different 5 shot groups. Fire 2-3 shots, let the gun cool, continue until all groups have been shot. After this, I go in between the two best shooting loads to see if there is a better shooting load in between those. I am considering cutting back to 3 shot groups. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use three shot groups because most of my rifles are hunting rifles not high volume shooters.

I use five shot groups in the one target rifle I have.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 3 shot groups, with 10 steps (of the same powder) between min and max. Than I re-shoot the best of those with 5 shot groups as a proof (a small 3 shot group may open up during the 5 shot phase, but a large group won't get any smaller)
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I establish a Start Load at 90% of the book maximum charge, then prepare 5-round test loads at 90, 92, 94, 96 and 98%. These are all set at the book maximum overall length, or the longest my gun will feed if that is shorter.

If I get promising groups at two of those charges, I'll test five more with a charge between them. I have never found any need to test with increments smaller than 1%. And I only rarely test at the 100% book maximum, the exception being if velocities are clearly under what I expect - which is likely a powder lot or bullet configuration issue.

Three rules: A poor 5-shot group always repeats. A good 5-shot group might repeat. A good 10-shot group always repeats.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.