In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

what powder is in this ammo?

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
i am trying to duplicate some fact ammo. winchester super x yellow box 30-06 125gr #30062 . it has 54.7 grs of a small cylin powder.any ideas what powder this is? thanks

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Ammo makers do NOT use the same powders that Handloaders can BUY off the shelve .makers load to a pressure that also gives acceptable Velocity.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best you can do is come close. Shoot five over a chronograph and find a load listed that gives a MV close to what your gun ammo combo produced.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No doubt the factory was using a bulk lot of powder that may or may not be availble at retail. But the powder mills don't just fly off on a tangent and they don't make special orders unless for huge quantities. They run as close as possible to the formulation for a known grade of powder. But not every batch of 4320 is close enough to the retail spec and is sold in bulk for factory loads. Or maybe it is real deal cannister grade 4320 and they had more on hand than they had orders for by the pound, so they sold it in bulk.

So your ammo may be loaded with a slightly fast batch of 4320. Or it may be loaded with a slightly slow batch of 8208. Or it may be something in that burn rate range from some other source. No way to know by looking at it. You just have to experiment a little.

If it were me, I would get a can of 4895 and try that.
  • Options
    haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    quote:If it were me, I would get a can of 4895 and try that.

4895 is a wonderful powder. IMR is good, but I prefer the Hodgdon version. I don't think you can blow anything up with it, and still gives some of the best velocity.