In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.1 Powder Differences

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
I am going to be purchasing a power powder charger soon and I have just one question. The descriptions of these powder chargers say +/- .1 grain, does .1 grain make a HUGE difference in accuracy? I know maybe out to a long distance such as 1000+ yds but what about 600 yards, or hunting less than 300 yards? I don't think .1 would make a great difference. I could see it having an effect if the hand loader is pushing a load already on the max load or a little beyond it, the .1 could make a difference. Thanks for your future replies

-JD

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it wouldn't matter much in a cannon, but it might in a .22 Hornet.

It isn't the absolute weight that matters, but the percentage of the total charge. My own experience says that charge weight variation less than 1% can't be detected among all the other variables between shots. There are simply too many other things different to say that tiny charge weight changes are responsible for anything.

If that's true, 1% of a 50-grain charge means that a variation of a half a grain is within limits! Now, none of us would accept a charge weight that is a half-grain off. So, the bottom line is that ALL of the current powder dispensing systems are much more than accurate enough.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks. That will also save me time reloading. I have been reloading for a little less than a year, and all my charges are exact. I would not accept anything less that what it needs to be. Now realizing I am wasting my time (to make it exact), reloading will be quicker. Thanks for the fast reply!!!

-JD
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by uni82
    Thanks. That will also save me time reloading. I have been reloading for a little less than a year, and all my charges are exact. I would not accept anything less that what it needs to be. Now realizing I am wasting my time (to make it exact), reloading will be quicker. Thanks for the fast reply!!!

-JD

What calibers do you load and what do you expect to do with them?
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .1gr won't show up on paper. Environmental factors and shooter technique will have far more effect. Even a lot of BR guys I have talked to don't worry about .1gr differences.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'll be shooting mainly 243//30-06. I plan to do some more reloading for 358//308 in the near future.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    As indicated, depends on caliber and load.

Powder dispensers are volumetric. Due to small differences in how the kernels fall into the dispenser, there's your weight variation. For bulky stick powders, you might see .3 +/- variation. My general rule is- for daily shooting, I just throw the charges. For matches, I hand weigh each. Not that I necissarily would see a difference, just 'in case.'
  • Options
    dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even the manual balance beam scales are only accurate to within a .1 of a grain. Im not sure what you would use to be perfectly accurate every time. Everything has a tolerance on it these days. Nothing is absolute. If you are worried about a .1 grain, get to know your scale, use your check weights often, and if necessary make load adjustments. Back off a .1 if your worried about pressures etc. Like others have mentioned, it will depend on what you are shooting if you see a difference or not.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If .1 variation is going to put you over the line, you're too damn close to the line. Have never gotten into the formal BR game, but my understanding is as others have already mentionned; many BR folks go volume, not weighed.