In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.45 Colt Shell Holders - Wiggle Room?

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
Hey There:

Just got my RCBS dies for my .45 Colt. As luck would have it, I don't have a #20 Shell Holder (RCBS). The closest thing I have to that is a #28. The shell fits (seems to anyway) the #28 as close as my .44 fits the correct #18.

With a single stage press, would the #28 be acceptable? I'm still one-at-a-timin here, and OVER check each round.

Comments

• Options
    coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the shell holder does fit too loose, you stand the chance of getting a cartridge stuck in the die. It might work okay during the seating process but the resizing process but be my biggest concern.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    FWIW I have never even come close to sticking a straght wall pistol case in a die (knock on wood). I have not even had one that I considered as sizing hard. That said a little slop is probably OK. A bigger concern may be making sure the case centers to the die properly so you don't bend a case mouth when sizing.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree. The 45 Colt has a pretty small rim to begin with. A sloppy shellholder will "rip the lips off" when you try to get a case out of the sizer. Get one that's meant for that cartridge.

There are historical reasons for the tiny rims, but the story is too tedious to get into here. Suffice it to say that the small rims are a weak point in the design.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Impatient to get one, I tried it. I take everything up into the dies relatively slowly anyway. The #28 worked with no problem. As far as "wiggle room," I didn't mean so much that the case was wiggling as much as I did "room to work." I took my 30-06 holder and put a shell in it. No scientific measurements made here, but there did not seem to be anymore excess room in the shell holder of the 30-06 than there was for the .45.

I set up the dies, and did a single round. Came out perfect. Don't get me wrong. I AM going to get the #20, I just had to make one.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 28 is for a 444 marlin I believe, so no problem there. Also A #6 38/357 shellholder will work for a 40 S&W in a pinch.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    The 28 is for a 444 marlin I believe, so no problem there. Also A #6 38/357 shellholder will work for a 40 S&W in a pinch.

My press is inherited. It's an old RCBS. I reloaded with my dad starting at around 6 or 7. Well, I clean a lot of primer pockets and put in primers (the part he hated).

I have been doing it the SLLLLOOOOOOOWWWW old fashioned way forever. I guide each shell up and down. I knew the .444 holder was pretty close. I thought it was the same one until I saw the label on the dies. The only change I might make is one of the RCBS powder measure/dispenser combos.

I just wanted to get some feedback on it. Getting ready to go shoot them now. [:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    $9 for the #20 shell holder. OUCH! They don't even come in neat little plastic boxes anymore.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lees shell holder sets are a bargain.
    The older 45LC shell holders were made to fit folded head cases that existed into the '60s. They would be loose on current solid head cases.
    The newer shellholders are too tight for old brass and have to be Dremeled if you want to load folded head brass.
  • Options
    rhoperhope Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As v35 said the Lee shellholder sets are a bargain. Or you can buy them individually for a lot less than $9. You need the Lee #11. I have some old "Dominion" brand (Canadian) cases. For these I use the Lee #5 shellholder (45 Webley, 303 British, etc.). I'm guessing it would probably work for other brands of older cases as well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I know. I just "happened" to be at the little gun shop down the street. Feeling bad for some of these little gun places, but the Ma 'n Pa Huntin and Fishin stores aren't what they used to be. They had selection, and if they didn't have it, they'd get it for you because they knew who you were, then they would always keep one in stock for you. I have a Bass Pro close by, and getting any powder I need there is hit and miss. It's gotten the same at the Ma and Pa places, but they want $10 more and don't seem to care as much about knowing who I am.
  • Options
    bsdoylebsdoyle Member Posts: 279 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow just had #20 rcbs come off auction on the 15th and it only brought a penny. Sounds like you got my luck.