In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

compressed loads

44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
Is there a secret to loading compressed loads? I am loadng 223 with varget and am trying imr3031. Because of the type of powder you naturally have voids or air pockets in the casing so you get over flow. So whats the secret to uniform loads? And to prevent spilling of powder?
Thanks

Comments

• 44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    compressed loads good or bad? I was on Hodgson's web site looking at varget load data for 223 and they are all compressed loads. I thought I heard that compressed loads are bad.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I partially fill all the hulls, then set them en-bloc on a vibrator (I use the top of my Tumbler while it is running) and then add the finish weight of powder. Takes a bit of care to make sure that you correctly charge the Shells.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When loading a case-full plus I hold the case and funnel in one hand while tapping the case on the table, pouring the powder slowly with the other. It is awkward to do but works OK for me.
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find the simplest thing to do is stay away from compressed charges . With all the powders we have available today it's just not nessesary to compress charges ! IMHO
  • shoots2muchshoots2much Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can find no reason to load 223/556 with a compressed load.

Unnecessary work and risk.
  • mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for cryin' out loud change powder!
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In order for you to be compressing varget in a .223, you are shoot way too light of bullets for varget to have any performance advantage over other powders. Varget is for heavy bullets, and out of an AR varget is good for rifle length or longer gas tubes.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,133 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree that Varget is too slow for bullets under 55 grains in the 223.

As a general reply, however, try "swirl charging". To swirl, you flow the powder into the funnel so as to make it swirl in like a toilet flushing. Pour the pan into the side of the funnel at a rate just fast enough to keep the powder from logjamming in the funnel throat. Charges will "pack" MUCH more uniformly, even better than tapping or vibrating the case.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    Guys, Thanks for the replys. I wasn't asking if I should load this? I was just asking how to load this round without making a mess.
    For some of you asking. I am loading a 55gr bullet. As for varget I am loading 27.2 grains as it doesn't list it as a compressed load. It doesn't feed as well and log jams. By the way this round is impressive and accurate.
  • bentley47bentley47 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never used one much, but there is a long drop tube funnel designed for compressed loads;
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=293879&utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=free&utm_campaign=9315

As others have said - vibration settles the powder, even tapping on the side of the case with something, like a pencil.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can use a long drop[ tube funnel and fill the case in at least 3 steps, after the first 1/3 tap the case several times on the workbench or as the guy says hold it to the top of a vibrating tumbler and just keep filling! You will find that some MAX compressed loads listed for some calibers just won't fit all into the case! (by using a long drop tube and pecking the case you are aligning stacking the grains like stacking firewood, vs just making a big haphazard pile!
    Also some reloading manuals give you a hint how to tell when you are overcompressing the load by something similiar to immediately taking a OAL reading of the loaded shell and set it aside and re-check it again in approx 30 min and if it's growed in length you are overcompressing the powder load! You will find that the heavier your brass case the less powder it will hold! From experience the guys are correct about Varget USUALLY being for the heavier bullets in fast twist barrels in the 223 calibers, USUALLy, although I have some 223's that produce good groups with a 1/10 to 1/12 twist and 60-70 grain bullets! When I say good groups, I'm not talking target, I'm indicating good 1 inch consistent groups and use the 60-70 grain as a hunting load for the smaller sized Deer for people that are good shooters and that don't like heavy recoil and muzzle blast in a hunting gun!
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just tap the case with a little pin punch as I load it in. I've never tried the swirl or long drop tube but that sounds like a better way to do it. Unless of course you changed your load.[;)]

I got frustrated with having to re-do cases enough so that I don't compress .223 anymore. I just go back to 4895. I still load .308 and .243 compressed in some cases.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    I just tap the case with a little pin punch as I load it in. I've never tried the swirl or long drop tube but that sounds like a better way to do it. Unless of course you changed your load.[;)]

I got frustrated with having to re-do cases enough so that I don't compress .223 anymore. I just go back to 4895. I still load .308 and .243 compressed in some cases.

You wrote: I got frustrated with having to re-do cases enough so that I don't compress .223 anymore.
    I also do not fidget and fight with non-user friendly compressed loads at the higher end of the grain weights!
    If using or testing a powder that requires the additional tapping and or drop tubes and the case has to be emptied and re-filled so as to test or load the higher grains I stop at the lesser user friendly compressed grain weights and if the gun don't like the user friendly compressed lesser amount, I go to another faster burning powder selection, usually by looking at a burn rate chart and dropping down a notch, to a powder that does not compress as much! I also do not like the idea of severely crushing a compressed powder load! (but I do like a powder load that fills a rifle case to approx 80-90& of case capacity because
    these type loads seems to be usually the most consistent in vel and accuracy for me! (when first selecting a powder to test for accuracy, I start by selecting the slowest burning powder of the choices or one that fills the case to approx 80% at the min grains from the reloading manual! (I've seen some of the faster burning powders that only fill a rifle case to approx 30% and the vel and groups could be changed by pointing the gun barrel up or down before test firing thus making the powder change ends in the case! I've also tried fillers with the faster burning powders with no consistent success! I also use the H4895 in some 223's, but not very many 223's like the H4895 for consistent accuracy! (I have better luck with H4895 than with IMR4895 when testing)
    edited November -1
    Thanks everybody for the responses. I agree with okie743. The 80-90% fill is the best idea. In the end I wanted to try and load something over the top so to speak and just see what happens. I always have enjoyed the most bang for the buck. Reloading is so cool!!