In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Loading the 223 Rem

The powder I have the most of right now is Winchester 748. So I want to use that up. The bullets I will be using are Nosler 55-gr BT/BT

The rifle is a H&R Handi 24" Bull Barrel with a 1-in-12 twist.

My Speer book give one single load of 26.2, period.

My Lee book gives a spread from 26.0 to a compressed load of 28.0.

I'm wondering which end of the spectrum works best in your particular experience.

Comments

• guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only speak for the AR I load for. It seems to like a middle load for accuracy.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my "pet" loads is 27.0 W748 with any good 50-gr bullet. For your slightly heavier slugs, I'd drop to 26.0. You can tweak the charge a few tenths either way, and/or play with the seating depth to shrink your groups, but you'll be in the ball park already.

BTW, I have always used WSR primers with Winchester powder in the .223 - they're designed to work together.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Winchester data gives 26.3grs. for 748 with a 55gr. bullet.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    One of my "pet" loads is 27.0 W748 with any good 50-gr bullet. For your slightly heavier slugs, I'd drop to 26.0. You can tweak the charge a few tenths either way, and/or play with the seating depth to shrink your groups, but you'll be in the ball park already.

BTW, I have always used WSR primers with Winchester powder in the .223 - they're designed to work together.

Good to know about the primers.

quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    Winchester data gives 26.3grs. for 748 with a 55gr. bullet.

That bears out. With light SouthWest winds gusting to 15-20 mph, I got .875 using 26.5 grains. 27 grains blew that out past 1.5 inches.

As you can see, I just went ahead and loaded some starting loads. I think I'll stick with 26.5. I may want to play some, but the object is sub-one-inch for prairie dogs. I've got that now.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    The powder I have the most of right now is Winchester 748. So I want to use that up. The bullets I will be using are Nosler 55-gr BT/BT

The rifle is a H&R Handi 24" Bull Barrel with a 1-in-12 twist.

My Speer book give one single load of 26.2, period.

My Lee book gives a spread from 26.0 to a compressed load of 28.0.

I'm wondering which end of the spectrum works best in your particular experience.

When a reloading manual lists only ONE powder load, it's usually listed SOMEWHERE in THEIR manual to reduce the load by 10% as a starting load! (some manual will say 6% reduction, but most are 10%)

Read the manual and look for the suggested starting load reduction, (it's listed somewhere)
    When first starting to test a Powder load I load 3 rounds of the minimum, I then subtract the max from min and divide by 2 for the average center medium load, then load 1 grain below max if I don't see any excess pressure signs! If I find that the gun is liking one of the 3 shot loads on paper, I repeat the load again and re-test to see if it still likes again! (sometimes the gun and powder will not repeat the good previous test again, especially with a cold barrel first shot) I then sub or add .2 grain and retest if fine tuning the accuracy is needed!

W748 is a good powder usually for the 223 caliber! (H335 is ok sometimes)
    I also see that Hodgdons is now the HORSES MOUTH for W748! (they are now the owner of winchester and IMR powders and the W748 reload info should be available on-line, maybe, at their website!

Good luck to Ya!