In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Out of the box accuracy?

mkirklandmkirkland Member Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭
So I am narrowing down the caliber of rifle, and believe me that has been enlightening, but now I need to know which rig to get. Rem. 700, Winchester, Weatherby, Savage, Tikka t3 etc.....? What brand/model has a reputation for the best out of the box accuracy? Is there room to customize? Is it good enough out of the box not to customize? I dread the process of narrowing down optics! haha, but that is another thread altogether! Thanks a Lot Guys!
Hmmm...

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go buy a Savage, in your favorite caliber, put a Burris scope on it, Signature Select, or Diamond are best but the Fullfield II has earned a great reputation if the budget is tight. Put the scope into Burris Signature rings and NEVER, EVER REGRET YOUR CHOICES.

PS, I have SEVEN Burris scopes, I believe in them, their warranty is forever and rock solid.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I just got a Savage 12 in March in 223.

Once I put about 200 rounds through it playing with bullets and powders, I have it down to .4" at 100 yards. Nikon Buckmaster scope. Burris is fine as well, or Leupold, etc.

Next I'm ordering some good Lapua or Norma brass and am going to try to go one step further. My goal is .3" or better.

For an out of the box rifle that sells for under $800 new (got mine used, less than 200 rounds through it for $550), you can't beat that with a stick.
  • Options
    45Kimber45Kimber Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 3 savage model 12 BVSS bull barreled rifles. With a little testing of hand loads I can shoot three shot groups with all either touching or extremely close. I like the Bushnell elite 4200 6-24 scopes on mine. My praire dog hunting crew of 5 guys have about 12 of these rigs and all love them. Best place to buy optics IMHO is Natchezss.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When it comes to price, Savage Check out there newest gem-[:p]
    Comes in .300 win or .338 Lapua.
    110ba.png
  • Options
    j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hi,,,for a cheap out of the box accurate rifle,you can't beat the stevens 200 models,,,they make them in almost any caliber and if you reload you can even increase your accuracy level from moa to sub-moa,,,another mid-priced rifle would be a howa 1500,,,same accuracy but built a little better and feels sturdier in your hands,,,[:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage, I bought a Savage .270 new and it shoots great. I expect that it will shoot even better when I get it broke in some more. I believe in Savage Arms. I am a firm believer in good optics as I get older, buy the best you can afford and get some kind of lens covers for them.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mrkirkland,

Funny how the first thing out of the responders was Savage! I'll second that one. With a caveat...Savage puts all the money in a rifle where it is supposed to be. Anything left over they pay someone to make it look ugly![}:)][:D]

Seriously, Savages of past years haven't been all that great. The 110's aren't really lookers if they at least have wood stocks. But, the 14/114 series are truly a good looking rifle. Also, if you step up a bit to varmint/tactical stocks, they have stayed right with the competition in providing rifles that used to only come custom.

So, you can either have some really nice wood in the 14/114 or have a really ergonomic stock in the many variations that Savage gives you in FCP/BAS stocks.
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    Ive owned 2 savages that were basically junk.........Maybe I just have bad luck but they needed work and then were Gems, but for out of box Accuracy Id go Rem 700, yet here is the catch 22 If the one you bought dont shoot MOA trade it off on different one.....Not sure whats going on there but when one shoots great another is piss poor........again JMHO

1 MOA is acceptable to me out of a factory gun and again all this is MHO, but I never got that ou8t of the Savages......could be bad luck
  • Options
    270cowboy270cowboy Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my Ruger, I did not buy it
    new,But it is very accurate!!!
  • Options
    HawksterHawkster Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, it seems like lots of folks enjoy the Savage! I only shot one Savage bolt some years back and it was fine! With that said, I still prefer the Rem. 700 Action! Now you will notice I specified the "700 action." Actually, I should have said "barreled action." Currently I shoot 10 different rifles based upon variants of the 700 action! 5 of them are as you say "out of the box", wood stocked, 700 BDL's. Now, these weapons came with open sites mounted on them! Some people will laugh at me for this, but since they are there I want to be able to use them any time I choose! So, on these rifles I use see thru scope mounts! Yes, I know, this places my scopes "high" but it was my choice so I live with it! Besides, these guns are my "utility shooters." They range in Cal. from 270 - 338. For all five of these rifles I have chosen to zero 2 inches high @ 100 yards. This requires obtaining ballistics data at 50 yard intervals out to 300 yards (the farthest I would think of making use of these rifles.) YES, I did make some modifications to them later! But, prior to those mods, these rifles provided me with MOA results. Now it is a completely different story for my 700P-TWS's in 308 & 300M. These are very specialized for specific shooting!

Bottom line is; I have been shooting Remmington 700's "out of the box" for years now, and they have not failed me! I don't know what else I can say![:)]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to shoot a Ruger and Remington 700BDL but lucked into a blem left handed Weatherby MkV with custom action. 1/2" groups out of the box. I believe they guarantee 1" groups on their rifles now.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/node/45428

Plus the short bolt throw is nice also.
  • Options
    HawksterHawkster Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now that I have replied regarding the "out of the box" thinking, let me address where I think the 700 action shines! If you are going to use it as an "all encompassing utility shooter" you will probably get one with open sights like me! If you want to shoot sub MOA you will go with one of the bull or fluted barrels, sans sights. In either case the availability of parts/accessories is outstanding! Also, the Remington trigger is easily adjusted (within reason & by someone competent to do so). The Remington trigger out of the box should not be taken below 3# (some say 4#)! However, if you are looking for lower for a specialty application, brownells offers a replacement spring to do that! Again, if you are not inclined do this work any competent gunsmith can do it for you! Additionaly, if you just plain don't like the 700 trigger "assembly", knock out two pins and put in a fancy name brander! Another interesting part of the 700 action is the bolt system! The 700 bolt system is a marvel to behold! If you keep it maintained it should not fail you! But, if by chance you do have something "break" it can easily be replaced![:D]
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have said it many time before and will say it again. You still can't beat the bang for your buck when you buy a Savage.

Most any of the major manufacturers(Ruger, Remington, Savage, Sako/Tikka) will give you a rifle that will shoot better then most people can. Just really depends on what you are looking for and want to spend. My two favorites when it comes to current production bolt rifles are Savage and Ruger. Tikka makes a really nice gun for the money, but I just don't like their newer T3 line. Seems much cheaper made and costs a lot more then their older Tikka 595/695 Whitetail Hunter line. If you can find an older 595/695 used, I would say go with that. Remington use to make a great rifle, but their prices have skyrocketed and their product has declined.

Jon
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Love my Savage 110 in .270...
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My only normal bolt gun is a Savage 111 in 7mm-08 lefty version.
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for older tikka 558/658 or 595/695

i have 695 in 300WM and picked out a 558 in 308 and 595 in 7mm08 for good friends. we are all extremely satisfied w accuracy, triggers, actions, everything.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the Savage ... mine is a 111F in .300 WM.
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dakota Arms, Robar, or McMillan when it comes to out of box accuracy ;)
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by leeblackman
    Dakota Arms, Robar, or McMillan when it comes to out of box accuracy ;)

I'll agree those are some outstanding rifles, both in accuracy and overall quality. However, they are all ordered, not "Off-the-shelf" rifles which can be purchased in most any gunstore across the nation.
  • Options
    1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IdahoRedneck
    Ive owned 2 savages that were basically junk

I wish I could say that I had luck with Savages. I've had two, and I will never forget wondering why they were never quite "on". I can say that I have had numerous Remington 700s, and NEVER had a problem that I didn't cause. I have one recent purchase in a 700, and that is the .338 Lapua. The last was a 300 WinMag back in the late 80's. I think a lot of it has to do with what you have confidence in. If it fits...shoot it!
  • Options
    kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have shoot alot of rifles all were good but i picked up a t/c icon a couple of yrs ago acuuracy was subperb with cheap federal loads. tryed tuning some handloads shot all well. maybe i lucked out but talked to another owner his shot exceptcnol as well. by the way its a 308 winny
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If customizing is something you may want to do at some point the Rem. 700 provides more options than all the others you mentioned combined .
  • Options
    Maximus4427Maximus4427 Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All my Savages are "one holers" @ 100 yards. Three models in two calibers. I wish Savage made one in 260 Rem. If they did I would have another.[^]