In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

338 Magnum Selection

IF you had your choice of any of the current non-belted: Norma, Lapua or RUM for the same rig (and you would end up with the same value). Which would you select, and why.

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    #1) RUM
    Brass and ammo are fairly available, and relatively inexpensive
    #2) Lapua
    Brass expensive and hard to find, loaded ammo even more so
    #3) Norma
    Why build a rifle where you can't even get brass or ammo for (yet)?

When it comes to performance, it's a 6 of one - 1/2 dozen of the other for all 3 of them, and in the "real world" they are virtually identical

BTW, my wife reports that your envelope arrived in today's mail
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    RUM cause you don't need to sell it to buy ammo for it.........
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
  • Options
    grandmangrandman Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RUM or LAPUA, the RUM will be easier to find. The Lapua is a great cartiage as I read and hear from others that have one. I don`t have one yet but are contemplating building one in the future, not sure yet.
    I would make the start up expense of buying lots of brass for what ever you decide on and pick up some more along the way at gun shows.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears the RUM covers the bases best: readily available, affordable, many options offered: NIB, used, composite of available components or custom. Think you are also correct in the belief that to have ammunition readily available, reasonably affordable, and/or access to reloading components is also a nice option ! ! !

Off the shelf and over the counter ammunition. The reloading components can be got readily and should not need to go into debt for too long for the ammo, especially by rolling your own.

Have not found anyone crowing about the economy of the Lapua rifle, ammunition or even reload components!

The .338 Norma proposition is questionable, at least at this point. It seems that the only proposition remains ... build your own rig. And pray for reloading components. Regarding ammunition, Norma's solo USA importer is Black Hills, the supply is ... a bit iffy.

The performance of the three is comparable, but the RUM is the most sensible way to go. It usually helps me to bounce these things off others. Appreciate the straight forward help!

Thanks, Alan
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Mark,

Had read and studied about a number of the .338s, and had narrowed my selection down to the three Magnums listed, for potentially satisfying my purposes. That is the reason that I was asking comparative information and opinions regarding the three: Norma, Lapua and RUM specifically. No slight nor disrespect to anyone or any other .338 chamberings intended.

I've been hearing and reading a bit about the .338-06. Seems to be a useful chambering and has sufficient punch for many applications.

Do you use one yourself? If so would like to hear about it and how much you've used it and how it works for you.

Thanks for your interest and vote.