In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help with 243 load

ddhotbotddhotbot Member Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
i need a load for my 243, i have 70gr sierra blitzking bullets, rl-15,imr4350,w748 powder.winchester brass cci br primers.

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well can't help to much. My favoriye Varmint load for 243 is:

70g Nosler BT
    Win LR Primer
    41.5g Varget

It is a tack driving load out of my Rem 700.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Published loads from Sierra lists 37 to 39 gr. of RE-15 for the 70 gr BK bullet or 41 to 44 gr. of IMR-4350.
  • Options
    uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My pet load is:

85 Gr HPBT Sierra pills
    37.3 Gr of IMR 4895
    CCI LR primers

with mostly Remington brass (but ill take what I can get for brass).

1:10" twist Ruger M77 SS 22" synthetic
    Simmons 3x9x42 silver (cheap scope but does the trick and is clear). just a beaut!!!

Set up a group of 3 at .90 MOA at 100 yds. Very effective varmint and field deer load =)

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have three good powders for the 243!

For accuracy testing I check the minimum and maximum recommended loads in a reloading manual, I load three rounds of the minimum load, three rounds at 1 gr less than maximum load, and I take the medium average of the low and high recommended grains and load three rounds!
    I test on paper at 80 to 100 yards with a cool barrel and pick the powder that the GUN seems to prefer for best accuracy and then start testing in 1/2 grain increments for the 243! You did not state your type gun, Rem, Win, etc or the barrel twist, but most often the 243's prefer a 85 grain bullet for best accuracy, but then again you never know! Testing is the fun part for accuracy when fine tuning a load, but not so much fun if the gun is shooting 3 inch or larger groups or the FIRST SHOT ONLY cold barrel shot is a BAD FLYER!