In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just ruined a 257wby mag die

OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
stuck a case in it

spent 45 mins drilling tapping pounding to no avail [V]

not as tuff a pill to swallow as I had first thought considering loaded ammo runs from 45-110 bucks a box of 20 these days

hell after loading two boxs (@16.50 ea) the dies ($34) are paid for again [:p]

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Odawgp,

I'm assuming you used the RCBS stuck case remover? There is also a "ripped" stuck case remover that will allow you to tap the case body and still pull it out. I know dies aren't much compared to ammo, but you can use it for any other case that will get stuck. I've used mine a bunch of times.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    Odawgp,

I'm assuming you used the RCBS stuck case remover? There is also a "ripped" stuck case remover that will allow you to tap the case body and still pull it out. I know dies aren't much compared to ammo, but you can use it for any other case that will get stuck. I've used mine a bunch of times.

good to know for next time

I made my own it would have worked if the belt hadn't pulled off the case it was stuck GOOD![:o)][:I]
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another good argument for the patiently applied lube to each case instead of the aerosol stuff. I like the feel of less resistance provided by a proper coating of lube and the assurance that it will come back out. Guess I'm a cheapskate.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF it is an RCBS give them a call they will remove it for a nominal fee or they might not even charge you. Could save you some money.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 336marlin
    Another good argument for the patiently applied lube to each case instead of the aerosol stuff. I like the feel of less resistance provided by a proper coating of lube and the assurance that it will come back out. Guess I'm a cheapskate.

Very, very true! The aerosol just don't cut the mustard and actually sucks when used with some cases and dies! I've seen it work and not work on two samecal and brand dies, whereas the old manual rcbs lube and pad would do it all!
  • Options
    grady mitchellgrady mitchell Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have the stuck case remover listed here on the gb site now go to smart search an under seller look me up as shady grady
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grady mitchell
    i have the stuck case remover listed here on the gb site now go to smart search an under seller look me up as shady grady

shady grady:

Give me a hint about how to SEARCH for you (shady grady) as a seller on GB!
    I've tried finding sellers before and don't see the links, steps, etc for SELLERS names???

Later
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    quote:Originally posted by grady mitchell

shady grady:

Give me a hint about how to SEARCH for you (shady grady) as a seller on GB!
    I've tried finding sellers before and don't see the links, steps, etc for SELLERS names???

Later

disregard! Found the seller search advanced links search, finally!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    IF it is an RCBS give them a call they will remove it for a nominal fee or they might not even charge you. Could save you some money.

It has already been recycled, for the price of a new one plus shipping waiting ect... I wandered down to the store and bought a new one

finished loading 50 @ .78 a piece 15.63 a box save more than enough to buy another without the wait.

I know it is not the most cost effective method buying another die but it kept a bottle of JD from walking in the door this weekend

So I guess you could say it is a win win
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you pounded on it much you may need to have bought a new one anyway.

I prefer good Scotch personally.

When you feel like it you could wander down to the store and get stuck case remover. I still feel it's worth it. The problem I've encountered over the years is you always make sure a case is lubed good and then you miss one. Once it's stuck there is nothing to do but get it out. Best to get it out the easy way...for about half the price of a die. And, like I said, I didn't plan on sticking other cases either. It just happened. So, having it saved me a few extra dies.

FWIW, my dad tried getting his stuck .257 out of his die (He thinks lube is going to do all kinds of damage, therefore skimps on it) and chipped the bottom inside of the die. It left a visible mark on the cases. I told him to buy a new die. He refused. We went around and around on this issue. So, for Christmas one year I bought him a deluxe set. And, had my nephew swipe the old ones. Not to worry, you're not the first, or last, guy that has damaged a die while reloading.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    If you pounded on it much you may need to have bought a new one anyway.

I prefer good Scotch personally.

When you feel like it you could wander down to the store and get stuck case remover. I still feel it's worth it. The problem I've encountered over the years is you always make sure a case is lubed good and then you miss one. Once it's stuck there is nothing to do but get it out. Best to get it out the easy way...for about half the price of a die. And, like I said, I didn't plan on sticking other cases either. It just happened. So, having it saved me a few extra dies.

FWIW, my dad tried getting his stuck .257 out of his die (He thinks lube is going to do all kinds of damage, therefore skimps on it) and chipped the bottom inside of the die. It left a visible mark on the cases. I told him to buy a new die. He refused. We went around and around on this issue. So, for Christmas one year I bought him a deluxe set. And, had my nephew swipe the old ones. Not to worry, you're not the first, or last, guy that has damaged a die while reloading.
    Amen above!!!!!!!!
    Very True!
    If you are a reloader you are going to stick a case in a die eventually! Some cases just size with more force than others, and I've seen some that had to be sized in steps, part way in, re-lube and go again if the chambers of the guns are at the max size, etc!
    I use a RCBS stuck case remover and have never failed yet to unstick one! I always try to buy or use RCBS eq and dies because I know if I don't mutilate their equipment, including dies, all I have to do is ship and they will make er right! RCBS will cost few bottles of whiskey at first, but RCBS equipment will allow you to enjoy more bottles LATER!
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Imperial sizing wax is CHEAP and never, ever fails. One tub is good for many thousands of rifles rounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Imperial sizing wax is CHEAP and never, ever fails. One tub is good for many thousands of rifles rounds.

Imperial sizing wax is great...except when: you are loading 30-06 and the base keeps pulling off the rim. So, I look it's a no. 3 and again it happens. Then I look again, One says RCBS, the other says "3"...after checking other die sets on the bench I found that was a Lee #3 which is for .303 and 7.5x55 No wonder 30-06 cases rims were being pulled down. Had the same problem with everybodies dies for the 7.5x55. That is until I bought the Redding which is sized correctly for the K31. needless to say slimming case shoulders down .015" takes a lot of effort. Both in and out.

Trust me. I find the imperial sizing wax great. But for instances like those?...get the stuck case remover.