In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.338 win mag brass

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
I reloaded 25 cases of 338 WinMag and goofed on the crimp, to much and it buckled the taper slightly, won't close in my chamber. OOPPPS!

Pulled the bullets, popped out the primer, can't fix the brass with only a two die RCBS set.

Any value for the brass other then in my "scrap brass" bucket? I assume reforming these is more costly then they're worth.

Thanks (yea, I should know better, yada, yada)

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A F/L die should iron out the pushed-back shoulder enough to chamber, the next firing will fix the remainder.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    bpost - I thought so to, but the F/L die did not reshape that area enough, I tried and it still will not allow the bolt to close. Once in the chamber I'm sure firing would work. I talked with a friend who also loads .338 winmag, and he has had the same problem (he laughed)and could not reform the brass to fit either in Lee Dies. It's been about 35 years since I last loaded this caliber, so it's not something I do very often.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the die screwed down ALL THE WAY to the shell holder, camming over against the base of the die?? If so, I would think it has to reform the case to fit the chamber, even if the shoulder is back too far when done.....
  • Options
    cowboy38231cowboy38231 Member Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somebody may be able to use it to neck it down to another caliber.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    your seater die is too far down in the press, that is what causes that bulge at the shoulder/body junction.

try a redding body die to iron that out. But, most likely, you will have to toss them.