In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloading manual???

I want to start reloading to achieve maximum accuracy in my firearms. Economics also plays a role, but mainly to go from 7/8- 3/4 moa down to 1/2 or even 1/4 moa.

What is a good manual for a novice handloader? I've read that every manual lists a variety of powders that are applicable to a given cartridge, but most are likely to reflect testing with a single rifle. Are there any you know of that tested known cartridges with a variety of rifles?

Regardless, I'm a beginner in this field, so I just need a good one to get started.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st- Not all reload books are equal[:D] Get many and study.
    #2 Powder is not equal[:D] Study
    #3 Bullets are not equal[:D] study

So Now you want to reload. What Cal.? (gotta make you a good reloader, now ya got to jump the hoops[:D]).
  • 53hawkeye53hawkeye Member Posts: 4,673
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    1st- Not all reload books are equal[:D] Get many and study.
    #2 Powder is not equal[:D] Study
    #3 Bullets are not equal[:D] study

So Now you want to reload. What Cal.? (gotta make you a good reloader, now ya got to jump the hoops[:D]).

Thanks FrancF,
    That is what I intend. It ain't worth doing if it ain't done right.
    .243, .223, 7.62x 39 and 45/70 are a few of the CF rifles.
    .41& .44 mag, .38 super, .357, .380, 9mm, .45 auto etc. pistols
    .410, 20, and 12 gua. mostly in shotgun

I have reloaders already, from my FIL's estate, and much of the needed equip.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Franc Gave you great advise, and it sounds like your headed the right way.
    I've been loading for some time now, more than 30 years, and I've developed a pretty good collection of loading manuals. I think of it as a reference library, along with all the information from the powder companies on the net. Don't try loads you find on some site that isn't tested and approved by the the powder companys.
    I'm sort of an old timer, was tought by for real old timers, and try to keep things simple. I shoot alot of 45 ACP and 38 Super, I load both with 5 grains of Bullseye, 200gr.bullet in the 45 and 115 gr. in the 38 Super. I load Unique or H110 in my 38s, 357s 41 mag and 44 mag. I load H4831SC in my 264 Win Mag, 270, 7Mag, 30-06, 300 Win Mag. I load H4895 in my 250-3000 and my Marlin CB 45/70. What I'm trying to say is keep it simple, find powders that work in several calibers, by it in bulk and don't look back. There are alot of new powders that work great in certain applications, but try to find powder that fills several uses. Like I said, I'm an old timer, and I stick with things that work. Educate yourself, it'll save you time, money, and alot of wrinkles and grey hair.
    W.D.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You don't need a manual. I can tell you in one sentence how to shoot 1/4 MOA groups. Here's that sentence:

When you talk about your groups, lie.

Novice reloaders who believe they can shoot 1/4 MOA groups (heck, 2 MOA groups) are living in fantasy land. Unless they follow that rule above, that is. Oh, it CAN be done. Benchrest shooters do it every day. But they need $5,000 rifles, $3000 scope, $1000 reloading gear, handmade bullets, painfully detailed brass cases, an immovable bench - and luck.

A new guy with a factory rifle, ordinary scope, factory bullets, regular brass and other gear to match? Not a chance. Fairytale.

That's not meant to be brutal. I welcome a new reloader warmly. But I do want to re-set your overly enthusiastic expectations.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Glass bedding the action and neck sizing helps with the bolt action rifles for sure. Next is bullet, primer, powder and detailing that cartridge case will tweak things a bit for you. Rocky is right on with his observations![;)]