In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Camp Perry NRA Springfield M1A match????

4406v4406v Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
I am very interested in shooting in the Camp Perry NRA Springfield M1A match coming up 8-8-10

I have a new in box M1A standard and 700 rounds of Lake City 168 gr fmj ammo

My question is what else do I "need" to attend and have a good time??

I am a newbie to any type of shooting competition any pointers???

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Shoot your rifle at 200, 300 and 600 yards so you can predetermine the clicks up from zero at each yardage.

Practice practice and practice some more. Most new shooters do not concentrate on offhand shooting enough, awards can be had there!

A shooting coat and pad is helpful, so is a good spotting scope and a folding stool. Get a marksman diary so you can record your shots, good shooting glasses and extra muffs. Make sure you have a way to carry water. Look st some of the carts being made out of two wheelers that incorporate a stool and spotting scope mount so you don't have to play pack-mule when moving on the firing line. Do not forget a rain coat, snacks and VERY important WATER to drink, lots of it. Creedmore sports carries a lot of handy stuff.

Relax and enjoy yourself!

Find some local guys that go and team up with them.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The weather can be 55 degrees or 105 bring WATER to the line find an old Geezer to mentor you while there . Some of the best shooters in the world pass between those famous gates . Bring money the people that support our sport set up shop with all kinds of items that are hard to find in normal stores. If you go with friends you will have more fun . Good Luck.

EDIT BOBSKI has it right .I agree with everything he says & BTW have you ever wondered where the TERM "THAT'S THE PITS" came from You are about to find out When you pull targets for the other relay's shooters . The Camp Perry PITS are the inspiration for the term. Bring inspect spray / napalm or /leg traps[}:)][;)][:I][:0] all three may be needed for the mosquitoes .
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since you have a month or two before the big date, you should attempt to locate and participate in any high-power matches in your area. Practice, practice and more practice.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If you've never shot a high power course of fire, at VERY least attend one of their clinics a day or two before the shoot.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cage type shopping cart to carry all your stuff. you know, like what grandma uses?[:D] us broken old timers call them fag wags. young troopers carry it all over their shoulders in g.i. issue ruck sacks. you decide.

offset eyepiece spotting scope, with stand.
    shooting glasses
    ear pro
    cap
    shooters glove.
    double hook leather sling.(usgi are best)
    3 mags. write guns serial number on bottoms. (trust me, they all look the same if you lay them down.)
    bullet cases to protect ammo.
    bullet spinner
    sitting stool
    shooting matt
    spray sticky
    carbon lamp with carbon stone
    cleaning kit
    get trigger weighed to 4 lbs +.
    make sure you REALLY have 1/2 click NM rear sights.
    shooting vest
    plastic bags to cover things when it rains
    rag
    yellow nra chamber safety flag.
    plastic sight protectors, front and rear
    dope book
    pen
    extra pen
    pencil
    extra pencil.(they work better in rain)
    small clipboard to hold score card.(ever try to catch a score card in 40mph winds?)
    rubber bands.
    tape your name to the stock. trust me, they all look the same.
    tape your name to EVERYTHING.[;)]
    extra socks
    bug spray
    sun block
    small collapsable umbrella, not for you...girly guy, to protect your gun.[:X][:D]
    flashlight, for those early musters and ammo issue.
    good set of boots.
    water. freeze it the night before.
    sweat bands.
    eye patch, to block weak eye.

that fag wag is starting to sound pretty good about now, isnt it?[;)]

sight your gun in for a bull shot 200yds npa PRONE 6 oclock hold. 3 shot groups, then make adjustment. mark your rear sight so you can find it as a starting point. red finger nail polish works well. trust me, back at 600, if you forget your dope count, youll miss.

then go shoot and dont crossfire. theyll beat you up in your hotel room and hang you off the flag pole upside down and naked. i would.[8D]

oh, and pray an experienced shooter shows pity on you and coaches you.[:)]

yeah i've done this a few times.
    screw the goody goody feelings. prepare now or youll go down in flames...and torque a LOT of good shooters off in the process.

FIND A HP MATCH LOCALLY AND SHOOT IT...NOW! make your mistakes NOW not at perry!

YOU BEST BE LISTENING. the CHIEF has spoken!
    regards and good luck,
    navy shooting team, retired.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better know how to read the wind.