In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr reloading

There are so many variables with reloading, im begining to think twice,..i reload all my 22 cals,hornet, 223, 243,264,311,308 & 300, the smaller 22 cals i have no bother with quick easy, the 264 + cals makes me curse...arrrrrrrrrr , thats better ! [:D] I use lee loading 4 hole turret press , hand prime loader, or when it playing up the lee press prime loader, with rcbs powder measure. The lee hand primer, handle bends on the larger cals due to the pressure to get the primers in, & the press prime loader if so finiky.. by the time i have had 2-4 hrs reloading, bust the handle , bought another, messed with the other primer attchment, i had enough.Does reloading ever go smooooooooooth ? The price of powder is ?70(GBP) the heads are ?20-100, cases i re-use. I must be crazy, i can buy reasonable privvy ammo for ?45(GBP)-100. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr gripe over ! [:0][:)]

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's that English weather, I never have problems here.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Mond,

I can't comment on costs of components in the UK but regarding the Lee priming tool, I'm puzzled. The priming pocket size is the same whether a small case or large one- either large rifle or small rifle. As such primers should go in no problem. I've primed 45/120 cases which are about as big as you're going to get and still have the rims snap into this tool, and the primers seat effortlessly.

It's also worrying that you're expending enough force to bend the handle. That could easily lead to detonation.

I wonder what brass you're using? Sellier and Bellot has reliably had tight, shallow pockets in my experience, so I have to uniform all those.

For bullet cost, that stinks man... I thought it was bad enough in the US, that's why I took up casting my own.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not the weather, it's that left-side driving. ;)

Seriously, though; priming should NOT take that much effort. High priming effort is in fact a large red warning flag of danger. If possible, try another brand of brass. If that's not feasible, get a tool that uniforms the primer pockets. You need only do that job once on each case, so it is not overly onerous.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Get the large and small RCBS or Lyman primer pocket uniformer tools and cure all your ills [;)]
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, squeezin in the primers takes its toll. I use privvy primers & privvy brass, it always over engineered. & I shall look into the rcbs primer pocket tool.(although my pocket are clean, very .. now !![:D]
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A primer pocket uniformer is much more than a cleaner, mond. It reams the pocket to the correct (nominal) diameter and also flattens the bottom of the pocket for positive seating.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RR
    I think (having been exposed to Brit humor) that Mond means his pants pockets are clean now
  • dtknowlesdtknowles Member Posts: 810 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can feel for you. I have broken the handle three times on my two lee priming tools. They were cheap to reorder and Lee probably would have given me a new one if I asked. I broke the last one only a couple weeks ago there was a void (porosity)in the casting where it broke and the design has a huge stress riser at that same location. All three broke at the same place. If your brass has tight pockets you have to be real careful not to break the handle on the lee tool.

Tim
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    RR
    I think (having been exposed to Brit humor) that Mond means his pants pockets are clean now

My pocket (pant) are deffinatley clean of ?? now ! [:D]