In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

here's one .

A bud gave me 200 55gr FMJ, i like the 50gr flatness & zapp of s/p heads. If i reload as normal with 55FMJ & take the point off, to the 50gr s/p profile, what may be the result ?

Comments

• Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most likely you will be past the jacket in order to get 5 grains off and the bullet will fall apart when it comes out of the barrel.

just a guess
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the base of one. That's the lead core you see; there's no copper base. Military bullets do not have the core bonded to the jacket, so the core is (or can be) loose in there. File off the point and you have a copper tube with a lead slug floating inside.

What can happen is that the lead core can get forced out, leaving the jacket stuck firmly in the bore. No harm on that shot, but the next one is going to be memorable, to say the least.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Look at the base of one. That's the lead core you see; there's no copper base.

well noticed, i can always rely on your experience here guys. cheers