In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bobski - Bullet spinner?

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
Reading the Camp Perry post about equipment for M1A. Having never competed in rifle except in DJV (German Hunting event), what is a bullet spinner?

Heard of fishing bullet spinners, auto bullet spinners, but what would I use on the firing line called a bullet spinner?

I'm an old fart, but there's always something to learn on this board.

Comments

• Options
    rhoperhope Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure if this is what you are talking about but there are tools to check bullet/cartridge concentricity by rotating the cartridge against a pin which activates a dial micrometer.
  • Options
    336marlin336marlin Member Posts: 201 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a good article on this in one of past the "Handloader" magazines. Back in the late '80s', I believe; a guy by the name of Vern Jeunke developed a small electronic device with a meter and needle that accuracy minded handloaders referred to as the "Jeunke Meter"(Internal Concentricity Comparator). You "chucked up" a bullet, not cartridge, into this small device much like you would set up a piece of material on cenetrs in a lathe. This device would spin the bullet and the needle on the meter would registed if the centroidal axis of the bullet and centerline of the bullet's mass were different or not concentric, to various degrees as the needle indicated. This works on the same principal as the tire balancers at the tire store. Bullets within a certain level of in-concentricity were tested as to their accuracy. There is a good depiction of this phenomenon in the front pages of the Hornady reloading manuals. This device is fairly expensive and only the bullet manufacturers had them for awhile. Then, in the quest for the greater edge, the top shooters obtained them. Google "Jeunke Meter".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rhope and Marlin:

I would understand the concentricity of the bullet and at the neck at the loading bench. But Bobski said this was "on the line" at Camp Perry. Wouldn't you want to do this before getting to the line? Unless maybe they issue their ammo at the line, then it would make sense to me.

I'm sure there's a good reason, just interested to hear it.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not all match ammo is perfect, so you spin them all and put the worst ones up on the 200yd line event.
    when you shoot the cmp leg match, you cant use your own ammo, you must shoot usgi ammo.
    see below, my bullet spinner.
    126-2662_IMG.jpg
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bobski. I didn't know CMP issued the ammo on the line, I thought it was like the pistol ammo, bring your own.
  • Options
    bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    leg matches are strictly monitored for fairness.
    ive never shot a leg match where reloads or private ammo was allowed.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.