In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

223 and the AR

skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
Sampled some loads in my AR. Will be using it as a secondary rifle on my P-dog trip. Leaving next week already, yea cutting it close but that thing called work. Wife and daughter came with as we both had day off and I've been gone a lot lately.

204 is Ready, but here we go.
LWRC with 16" barrel, Grendel isn't ready so this is 2nd rifle. 1/7 twist.
1st, 68 gr BTHP, not real well. Using TAC and group was not impressive.
2nd, 60 gr V-max with TAC. Shoot very well, groups got smaller as velocity went up. 2800fps with 16" barrel, not to bad. All 5 shot groups at 1". That will take care of doggies out to 250.
3rd, 55 gr V-max with Acc 2015, had 10 of these to try. Shot well, didn't think they would like the twist. Two 5 shot groups, one 1.25 and 1.5" Not bad at all. Velocity just over 3000fps.
4th, 50 gr Nosler BT with Acc 2015. Wife shot all ten, 5 went to same hole(ragged) and group was still good. Again, Velocity just over 3k.

Did I mention that she has never shot a rifle before. A blank slat is so easy to work with. No bad habits. And she really liked it, hope she remembers that is my rifle.

ry%3D400
This is her group.
ry%3D400
ry%3D400

Don't let the face fool you, she was pretty bored.
ry%3D400

Comments

• Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awesome! [8D]

That is one heck of a first group by the better half! Good luck on your p-dog hunt. Should be a lot of fun.

Jon
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great shooting.
    How about letting the wife redo shooting the other loads for a fair comparison?
    My wife outshot me with everything I had when we first met.
    That little cutie looks about ready for a .22.
  • skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    V35, I think you may be right. New shooters have no bad habits. I always make them dry fire a lot. She probable would out shoot me![:I]

The 2 boys were in school, the 17 year old does real well as well.

Also that mount is the Burris one piece. It was almost perfect after mounting. I didn't even bore-sight. One click left, Several clicks up or down. Can't remember. The 60gr were 2" high at 100 yards and the 55gr were .5-1" high at 100yds. Both good horizontally. That I really like. Can switch loads and not really worry out to 250 yards or so.

If any of you scope experts can help. Is there to much scope forward of the front ring. Its a Elite 6500, 30mm tube, 2.5-16x. Nice scope for the money.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not a scope expert but unintegrated high rings have loosened up on my AR's and a separate riser adds more screws to worry about.
    A magazine cover showing the Rock River one piece mount convinced me that I needed one.
    The front ring slopes 1/2" forward of the upper receiver, the rings are 1 1/8" wide and have a 2 1/4" space between them.
    The slope allows a little more eye relief and the riser puts the scope centerline 1 3/4" above the flattop receiver.
    It's a very solid arrangement that sets crosshairs at a comfortable height for me.
    If you become unhappy with yours, look at this mount.
    As you have an extended Picatinny mount,keeping eye relief as it is, you could move your mount forward about 1/2" before butting turrets against the forward rings. That would give you a little less overhang.
    I'm assuming there's about 2 1/2" of sunshade on that scope.