In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anybody still shoot the .225 Winchester?

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
I noticed one on the auction side with a bid of $866 and almost two days to go. A friend bought one in 1965, just after they came out. Several years later, he became disillusioned with it and was going to have it rechambered for the .22/.250. I offered a trade and he agreed so I bought a Remington 700 ADL in .22/.250 and we traded. A few years ago, I saw a Winchester 670 in .225 at a gun show and I have that one, too. They both shoot quite well and are fun to play with but cartridges and brass is a hassle so I guess if I just wanted a .22 varmint gun I'd pick something else. For what that auction is going to bring, I could probably get a nice .22/250 and put a pretty good scope on it and maybe have a few dollars left over for dies, etc.

Are there any thoughts or experiences with the .225?

Comments

• Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1965 Win. in 225. It came with a box of facroty ammo(3.60 price on box) I picked up about 300 rounds of NIB brass. I loaded 25 rounds, 5 each of different powder charges and they all shot well. I am going to load with different weight bullets now.
    Keep the 225, it will only go up in value where a new 22-250 will not. The 225 is only a little slower than the 22-250 and you will be one of a very few shooting a 225 for varmints.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Oh, I intend to keep the .225's,I guess I was just shocked at the price some one was willing to pay for one. I believe I paid $375 for the 670 a couple of years ago. I like the .225 since, as you say, not many people have one and I collect the old, odd, and/or unusual guns.

On that note, I take it from your "handle" that you have a .221 Fire Ball. I prefer that cartridge and the .222 Rem. Mag. over the more mundane .223 for the O,O,U factor as noted in the above paragraph.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a 670-.225 with a Weaver K6 on it at a farm estate auction a few years ago and have yet to load and shoot it.
    Interestingly, the S/N i.d.s the rifle as a Model 70 not a 670.
    Graf had reasonably priced brass and dies.
    I have a brand new .243 barrel to screw into it if the 225 disappoints me.
    Winchester copied the dimensions of the .219 Ackley Improved Zipper except they altered the rim dia and thickness to work in an 06 bolt face.
    If 225 brass ever dries up the 225 can be made from 30-30 or 32Spl brass as the Ackley Imp Zipper was.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Warren
    Could you email me instructions for the Leopold Adjusto mount for my 243 Mannlicher?
    I may want to go the Balvar route once I learn more about the scope.
    I do remember at the time it was a premium scope series but in the research I've done lately some said it's a dim scope.
    One would think without internal adjustment mechanisms they should be bright.
    So far the 2-8 Balvar sounds like it would be appropriate to the age and caliber.
    Would you comment?
    Thanks
    Bob
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Oh, I intend to keep the .225's,I guess I was just shocked at the price some one was willing to pay for one. I believe I paid $375 for the 670 a couple of years ago. I like the .225 since, as you say, not many people have one and I collect the old, odd, and/or unusual guns.

On that note, I take it from your "handle" that you have a .221 Fire Ball. I prefer that cartridge and the .222 Rem. Mag. over the more mundane .223 for the O,O,U factor as noted in the above paragraph.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    v35: Tried to send you email. Did not go through.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ambrose
    The webmaster doesn't know how to correct my new address problem.
    It's 1flybob@comcast.net
    The last post was supposed to go through your profile address but somehow got posted ??

Bob
  • Options
    darksiderdarksider Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot a 24 in heavy barrel 225 M-70 as they say just a semi-rimmed 22-250 taken many a rat with it. but its sorta retired shoot a 22-250 Imp. now
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'd really like to know the thinking of Winchester marketing when they
    decided to put this cartridge in a bolt action rifle.
    Both the .225 and the 22-250 were popular, long range varminting
    wildcats at the time.
    The 225, under different names with a few minor variations, was a single shot rifle cartridge.
    In the '60s, single shot varminters were in vogue and lots of now valuable antiques were chopped up to make them.
    Because of extractor issues, rimmed wildcat cartridges lent themselves better to single shot actions while rimless
    ammunition worked better through bolt action magazines.
    Since both rounds are essentially equivalent, I can't fathom why Winchester choose an inappropriate round for the Model 70 & 670.
    Being an odd ball may account for its' growing collectors'interest.
    This column has piqued my interest in shooting it.
    Does anyone have a favorite load ?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    50 Nosler bal tip and 35.5/Varget=3695 fps in M70.
    55 Hornady spire w/cann. and 34/IMR4895=3466 fps in 670.

Winchester put slanted fillers fore and aft in the magazines (as they did in the .220 Swift) and they feed just fine with these rimmed (some will say semi-rimmed) cartridges. Incidently, I have a Remington 700 in .220 Swift that feeds without a hitch and Rem. put no special effort in the magazine at all. My Mauser Swift will stumble every time if I put more than one cartridge in the magazine.