In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Single Reloading Reference Guide

Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭
My Grandpa taught me to reload almost 40 years ago and I did so religiously for many years until joining the military. I reloaded mostly rifle ammo, but also some pistol rounds. During my 30+ years in the military my reloading gear remained in boxes and I shot factory ammo. I spent most of my time overseas and it was hard to get components or find the space to set up my gear. During that time, I fear I've gotten rusty and may have forgotten some of the finer points of the hobby. I am now retired from the military and would like to get back into reloading, but I want to make sure I do it correctly. I again plan to reload mainly rifle and pistol ammo. Is there a good single reference guide that will take me through all the proper steps of reloading? I'm a detail-oriented guy and would like a reference manual that will help me perfect my reloading technique. I reload calibers from 220 Swift to 458 Win Mag. I hunt varmints with the 220 Swift and 243 Win, so accuracy is most important. My big game rifles are mainly a 7MM WSM and a 338 Win Mag, so terminal performance is important. I also reload for the 357 Mag, 45 ACP, and 9MM Luger, but I mainly use my pistols for plinking. Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ABC's of reloading, you should be able to get it through Amazon.com
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any edition of the Lyman Reloading Guide ( 49th being the current one ) . The reloading Data is great a little of everybody's stuff . Welcome Home and welcome to the GB forums !
  • Options
    reddnekreddnek Member Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee's reloading manual and ABC's of reloading should get you off to a good start
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
    I've always been a big fan of Sierra bullets and their latest reloading guide is darn good. Lyman has the best step by step section and Hornady's web site (or book) will refresh you about ballistics. [url][/url]http://www.hornady.com. Look at Ballistics resource.
    It's like riding a bike. Once you get started it all comes back.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman or ABCs for the basics of what, when and why. For current load data, the manual from your favorite bullet maker should be primary, with one from the powder maker as backup, and the Lyman as insurance. Why not just one? Typos happen!

Online data can be good IF it's from a commercial source. I wouldn't trust Joe Sixpack's Load Page - or even Rocky's. Too many guys' definition of safe load is "it hasn't blown up yet."

Oh, and before I forget - crisp salute, brother!
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oneoldsap
    Any edition of the Lyman Reloading Guide ( 49th being the current one ) . The reloading Data is great a little of everybody's stuff . Welcome Home and welcome to the GB forums !
    The Lyman manual is a good one