In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sonic Cleaning

BIG ALBIG AL Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
Trying to sonic clean my brass for the first time but having trouble with the right solution. Have any of you tried it and what combination did you use?
Thanks for any Help.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Check with Hornady. They just came out with a sonic cleaner.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been cleaning my brass in an Ultrasonic cleaner (Branson PC-620 ) since the early 80's Little dish soap and water is all you need.

I do this prior to tumbling and after primer pocket's have been gone over. In short, it does not make the brass pretty that's what tumbling is for. The ultrasonic Cleaner cleans the pours of the brass inside and out of what the the tumbler will not get primer pocket's flash hole etc.

I will say I was one of the few of originators of the (Home) process
    of ultrasonic cleaning Rifle/pistol brass. If Not, made it a popular way to go with gun shops.

My Claim- When I started reloading in the early 80's, Industrial ultrasonic tanks were about 2k for a 1.5 gallon tank. Being in the Semi conductor industry I found a new use for them! Add a basket bada bing bada boom! Add brass- Clean in and out.

Once again,I may not be the sole originator, but I have sure made it popular in reload shops that have never heard of the process.
  • Options
    BIG ALBIG AL Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats what I am trying to get away from is the tumbleing.And cleaning the primer pockets.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    While dish soap and water may clean them, there are also solutions that will get them shiny. There's an article over on 6mmbr... don't have the link but if you search that it should come up.

I use a 30% white vinegar and water solution with a little purple power, and then a rinse in tap and then distilled water (omit the last step if you don't mind a few water spots). Not quite as shiny as tumbled but very nice.
  • Options
    Maximus4427Maximus4427 Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just use vinegar with a few drops of dish detergent.[:)]
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walnut shells help clean up in the mix
  • Options
    lpaalplpaalp Member Posts: 947 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Detailed instruction on 6mmbe dot com... but wash in a vinegar/water mix (about 40/60) with a few drops of dishwashing liquid for 5 minutes. Rinse thoroughly, and again in a wqter/baking powder mix to neutralize the acetic acid from the vinegar.

Put 'em on a cookie sheet, oven with low heat to dry them. Best cleaning technique, IMO.
  • Options
    remingtongeoremingtongeo Member Posts: 178
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for the good info! Better methods than I have used.