In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.451 vs .452

.45 rules.45 rules Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
Ok another dumb nubie question. I'm alittle confused about the correct bullet diameters for reloading. I have been using plated .451 bullets in my 45 acp rounds. I have seen .452 bullets and was under the impression that this is correct for lead bullets in 45 acp. but I have seen some really good buys for .452 plated bullets, but not identified for any specific round. are .452 plated bullets also ok for 45 acp rounds, or will the gun go boom?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .452 is the proper diameter for lead bullets and most jacketed bullets in the 45 ACP.

Some 451 diameter bullets are available, I have 2 boxes of Speer 185 grain 451 diameter bullets on the shelf. I am sure some one will come along to explain why the .001 smaller diameter, I don't know myself.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Give both sizes a try. You might find one size groups better in your pistol. You could always slug the barrel and find out the groove size.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The reason I think is because different barrels have different bore sizes . I know for sure that the BARSTO barrels are normally .001 smaller the Kart Barrels . also many military and handload 230 grain BALL bullets are as small as .450.. Lead cast bullets work best when slightly over bore size if under size the will lead the bore badly. Also see my sticky THOUGHTS on crimping semi auto reloads on top of this forum Case thickness plays a BIG part along with sizing die size.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't load for either , but I always thought that .451 was for ACP and the .452 was for .45 Long Colt.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the only problem I can see would be higher pressures due to more resistance from the larger size. but as long as you work up your loads there shouldn't be any issues
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    At 45 acp pressures with normal throats, you aren't going to see any real pressure increase with 1/1000 difference. But yes, the normal rule of thumb is that jacketed bullets are at bore diameter, cast lead at least 1/1000 to maybe 4/1000 over. It depends what your gun will chamber. I usually use .453-4 bullets in my 45 if cast lead, as I find that the case sizes them down on seating about 1-2/1000 of an inch, leaving them around .452, just about perfect for my 1 and only 45.

Your mileage may vary of course.