In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need Bullet Recommendation...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Hey Folks...what kind of hunting bullet do you guys use for your 45/70 Lever Guns???

I just got a Marlin Trapper in 45/70 (16" barrel) and this is my first 45-70. I'll be using it for just about all the big game out here...including bear (although I wasn't really leaning towards a hard cast bullet). I've got to get some brass and bullets on order...Any suggestions???

Comments

• Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    ECC,
    I have 2 45-70s, a Marlin Cowboy, 26" barrel and a Siamese Mauser with a 22" barrel.
    I shoot Oregon Trail .359" 350gr lead for plinking and playing around, I shoot .358" 350gr Speer RFP on top of 59gr H4895 for Elk, in the heavy timber. You should work up to that load VERY carefully.
    In the Mauser with the 22" barrel, I shoot 400gr Barnes SS over a healthy dose of Reloader #7 for elk, and elephants that get in the wifes tomato garden. I don't plink or play with these, as they are +$50.00 a box.
    Oregon Trail-Lazer Cast makes a gas check bullit in 350 and 400gr that you can step right up there without having leading problems.
    Hope this helps.
    W.D.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laser-Cast 405gr flat point bevel base. Not a gas-check bullet, but I never had leading problems in any .45-70 I ran them through, at any velocity. No real expansion, but they penetrate like no other.

http://www.laser-cast.com/45Cal.html
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    hornady flex tip 325's