In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

collet dies

ginger49023ginger49023 Member Posts: 655 ✭✭✭✭
I am just beginning to reload and have a general question on collet dies.
I am reloading .243 win. using Lee dies. I have the full neck sizer, collet and bullet seating dies.
I am having trouble getting it through my thick skull, after reading several manuals on reloading, as to whether I should use the collet die or not re this caliber.
I am guessing I should use either the full length sizer or collet but not both on the same case.
I have loaded a small test amount using Speer 85g boat-tail and Remington 80g hollow point. I have checked each case and fired with no problems and very decent accuracy.
Need some advice from people a lot smarter than me please.
thanks

Comments

• Options
    ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Collet dies squeezes the case neck against a precision mandrel for a perfect bullet fit with minimum run-out. No case lube is necessary. Cases last ten times longer. Maximum accuracy is usually achieved by seating the bullet out far enough to almost touch the rifling. ONLY RELOAD CASES THAT HAVE BEEN FIRED IN YOUR GUN! These dies are not recommended for autoloaders, slide, or lever action guns. I got all this from the "Lee Reloading Catalog" 2010. Lee Precision guarantees the smallest group size, or your money back! If you have a bolt action rifle...you are good to go! Size a case, seat a bulletout long, color that bullet with a black sharpie, slowing close the bolt to seat that bullet into the rifling. Eject...you'll see the rifling marks on that bullet and now load some Ammo @ .004" over all length shorter and see if your groups get better.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks
    So if I use the collet die, there is no need to use the full neck sizer, correct? I just want this clear in my punpkin head.
  • Options
    rhoperhope Member Posts: 118 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right. As long as you are using a bolt gun and are using cases fired in your gun use the collet die only. The advantages of the collet die are that it only resizes the neck of the case (which means that the case is a better fit in your particular chamber - which means you should get better accuracy) and also that you are working the brass less which means your cases last longer. Other action types usually require using the full length sizer because they do not have the camming power of the bolt action and therefore may be difficult to chamber.

If you use cases which were fired in another gun then use the full length sizer the first time you load them to make sure they will chamber in your gun. Next time around you can go back to the collet die.

Hope this is clear enough to be of some help.

Welcome to the world of reloading. It's a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got it, thanks
    Bolt action, my rifle and brass from my rifle only.
    Collet the way to go.
    Again, thanks
  • Options
    bentley47bentley47 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My experience - after firing a case a few times with only neck sizing, the shoulder may "grow" a little and the bolt becomes hard to close. At that point, you may need to use the full length sizer, but adjust it down in steps until the bolt will close okay on a test case. Then, you can continue neck sizing until the bolt gets stiff again.
    Check and trim cases, as needed.
    Enjoy!
  • Options
    greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Lee collet die and absolutely love it. I use one in 204 and 243. Excellent product!