In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady Flex Tipped Bullets and Penetration...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Who knows anything about how well these bullets penetrate and break bone??? I'm trying to decide whether or not they will be a reliable bear bullet for the 45-70 (325 Gr). Thanks!

I'd prefer it if they were an all copper bullet...I don't know how thick their jacket is and how well they hold together.?.?

Comments

• Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dropped a 400lb black bear with one shoulder shot three years ago. One more in the lungs as a finisher. Both shots were from about 35 yards. I know the lung shot went all the way through. I'm not sure about the shoulder shot, but the bear didn't go more than 6 feet after the first shot. I was pretty impressed.

This was a 200gr bullet in factory Hornady ammo. It was .35 Rem.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    "reliable bear bullet for the 45-70 (325 Gr). Thanks!"...........
    it depends on the bear!.............400lb black bear=no problem, 1500lb grizz=get a real gun.
    I have use the Hornady flex tip with very good results on 'medium sized' game. it is also a very accurate bullet
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the ads/info I've seen, it looks like the flextip bullets are designed for 150-300# game.