In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Making Target Stands

travrlertravrler Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
Does anyone have a Good, Easy, Light Weight (If possible) directions to build a Target stand? Looking to build Two (2) stands, about 4-5 feet tall, MAX.
Wood material would be the best. Large enough to place Two (2) targets side by side on each stand, so about Thirty Six (36 inches) wide.
Did not find this on the Board anywhere yet, it may be there, but can not find. If this is posted already, would one of you point me in the correct direction.
My gun range seems to be needing newer target stands and has NOT been inclined to replace these this last Two (2) years. All need to be replaced; from 25yrds to 600yrds.

Thank you for the help.

travrler

Comments

• Options
    bentley47bentley47 Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to shoot at an old black powder range years ago that had a decent setup, if I can describe it.
    4x4 posts, about 2 feet apart. At the top were 2 boards that formed a slot at the top. Then a 2x4 horizontally about 3 or 4 feet below that. Then, they kept 2x4 sheets of 1/2" insulation board (the kind that is treated with tar), in a range house. You just dropped one of those boards in from the top and stapled your target to that. They would stand up to quite a bit of shooting and could probably be left out in the weather for some time. Whenever the center is shot out, they were pretty cheap to replace.
    The range where we did battle zero for annual qualification was set up about the same, as I recall.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know how fancy you want to get, but we use wood pallets, and they are free for the asking at several places! If you don't want to leave them in place permanent, just lean two together back to back, one as a prop for the other! Or place a small wood post at the edge for support vertically!
  • Options
    leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wood pallets are great, as long as you don't want more height than the pallet on the ground sitting upright. I actually made target stand by busting up a pallet and using the planks. Just basically sandwich two 18" planks together with a 14" plank in the middle leaving 2" on both sides. Take two more 18" planks and nail to the sides making a big "H" shape. Then go down to the lumber store and pickup a few 8 foot long 1x2" furrings or whatever they are called, and cut them in half. Sit the H on the ground and two 4 foot 1x2's into the slots in the sandwiched planks. Perfect to stable a standard 18" wide cardboard IDPA or IPSC target. Or if you want, you can go behind any store and pull a few boxes out of the dumpster, and cut yourself some 18xwhatever pieces and staple in place of the IPSC target, then you can tape whatever you want to it. And the good thing is, it breaks down and fits in the trunk of my Honda.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been collecting campaign signs, now that the elections are over, from my property and use those.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's an idea for you. Get some of the ready made brackets for trailers that hold a 2x4 stake for removeable sides. Make a frame of 2x4's for the base and put two of the brackets on one end. Make an upright frame that fits into those brackets to hold your targets. Remove the uprights for moving/storage and set it up at the range. Also, if you blow up the uprights, they're easily replaceable w/o fiddling with the lower. Some careful measuring/planning will allow the two frames to nest together making the disassembled unit more compact. All this is doable with only a saw and drill-or screwdriver if you have strong hands.