In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primer question

shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
have some primers that im going to sell on gb. need to know how to designate them by their #. in other words the # = small or large rifle or small or large pistol? i have rem.#2 1/2, 5 1/2, 6 1/2, and 7 1/2. also have shotgun primers no. 69, .57, and .97, if you could please tell me what they are used for. 12, 20 guage, ect. thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    what would happen if by mistake use large magnum primer in a 308 win? friend of mine did that last night and loaded 50rds that way using imr 4320 powder
  • Options
    edited November -1
    With the supply situation the way it is, I may not be able to match a particular primer brand with the powder brand that my manuals specify. What's the best way to handle this situation? Is it anything to worry about?
    I'm new to reloading & I don't want to do anything to hurt my gun or myself.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Which one of these two primers do you guys feel is better. CCI benchrest or Federal match?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The CCI is noted for having a thicker, tougher cup than the federal. Only testing in your gun will show if it makes a difference to your rifle.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC and nononsense a few years back suggested I try the CCI BR-2's
    in my .308 Rem 40X with my load development. The final result in MY rifle was about -1/8 inch over a five shot group @100 yards Vs other primers. Slight, but yet noticeable.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The equipment list of the top 20 benchrest shooters (most shooting 6PPC) shows Federal Small Rifle Match primers used by 90% of them. I shoot these and Remington 7 1/2 BR and can tell no difference.