In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

6.5x55 factory ammo

wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
I have just received a new FA single shot in 6.5x55 (16" bbl). I have several boxes of factory ammo ( Remington, Federal, Prvi Partisan -- 139 & 140 gr). I shot all three brands over the chronograph on Sunday and was a little disappointed in the results. I was getting readings mostly between 2250 & 2300. For purposes of comparison, the 338 Federal (15" bbl) in the same type pistol was in the high 2300s with Federal's factory 210 Nosler and high 2400s with Federal's 200 gr Uni Cor.

I presume that the 6.5x55 is loaded to a lower pressure than is the newer 338 Federal. Is this presumption correct?

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    because there are old rifles chambered for the swede, that may not be able to handle the pressures of modern ammo.

handload your own.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    That's comparing apples to goats.

But what was said is true; often downloaded in deference to Swedish mausers and Norwegian Krags and the like. The question is, how did they shoot?
  • wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agreed Jonk, the 338 Fed is a very different round than the 6.5. However, I would expect the velocity of the 6.5 with the 140s to be closer to what I was seeing from the 338. The FA single shot frame is strong (comparable to an encore) but the velocities that I saw from the 6.5 were "contender" type velocities.

I plan to "load my own" & expect that the velocity should increase to a reasonable number.

The accuracy of the 6.5 factories was ho-hum --- OK but not spectacular. Recoil, however, was very light. Just need to "make some more brass" and then get on with the project. The factory ammo would be very useful for someone who is "recoil sensative."
    edited November -1
    Anyone want to conjecture about the correct powder for the FA single shot in this caliber? Been looking at the reloading manuals (which do not list the sammi specs). Looks like the slower ones work better. But what are your thoughts on a 16" bbl?
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ref only velocity, the powder that produces the highest velocity in a 22, 24, 26 whatever length barrel will also be the one that produces the highest velocity in your 12, 14, 16" barrel.
    IOW shorter barrels do not require faster powders (but the slower powders may well produce more muzzle flash).
    edited November -1
    I may have been too quick to judge the accuracy (or lack thereof) when I was shooting over the chronograph. I was shooting metal tagets then. I put the 6.5x55 on paper this morning. The Remington 140s put four into a group just over an inch. With these 67 yr old eyes and a 4x handgun scope, that is pretty good for me. I was pleasantly surprised.

The 338 Federal barrel was also OK with Federal Premium 210 partitions. Four in about 1 1/2". Probably would have been better but I let one slip a little.