In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

218 Bee Pistol Loads

NateNate Member Posts: 168 ✭✭✭
I picked up a 218 Bee Contender barrel at an estate sale earlier this spring. It came with dies and 50 pieces of brass. On the box the brass came in is a load that appears to be about 3.5 grains over max for the rifle load listed in the Speer Manual #14. I do not want to post the exact load on here in fear someone may see it and use it. But it is using IMR 4227 powder.

I have not been able to find any pistol loads for 218 Bee. The reloading manuals I have on hand only list rifle loads for 218 Bee.

I would like to use Hornaday bullets, either 45 gr Hornet (#2230) or 55 gr soft point (#2265). I have Remington 6 1/2 and CCI small rifle primers on hand. My brass is Winchester. I am open to just about any powder.

I appreciate your help.

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think there is any real difference between rifle loads and Contender loads in a small case like .218 Bee. Go by the book, the previous owner was walking on the safety margin.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nate, there is no difference in loads. You can expect to get Hornet rifle speeds from a pistol Bee - in other words, about 2800 fps with a 45-gr bullet. See my article on the Contender Bee for full details: http://www.reloadingroom.com/index_files/218%20Bee.htm

You are wise to doubt that over-max load. Avoid it. But DO use the Rem 6 1/2 primers. They are made specifically for small-volume cases like the Hornet and Bee, producing milder pressures. As you'll see in the article, 4227 is an excellent powder for the Bee, but not as good as LilGun (at least in my barrel).

Ask away if you have other questions.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.