In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

cheap 30-30 bullets

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
I am looking for the best quality cheap flat nose bullet I can find. I have a 336 and have Hornady FTX bullets for it in deer season. Looking for good quality plinkers that I can do some silhouette shooting with.

I have used hard cast pistol bullets but never rifle bullets. Are they okay with a relatively hot load?

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A "hot load" even in a 30-30 is reaching the upper level for cast bullets. you might look at some bulk lot bullets from the major retailers to cut costs. You might find some odd lots on the auctions that would work for you. Another option might be the 110 grain round nose copper plated bullets for the 30 carbine if they work in your rifle.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a cheap Lee mold and cast what you need.Lee makes good molds and I would think a gas checked bullet cast with wheel weights would do fine in a 30-30.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can drive a quenched wheel-weight bullet to about 2300 FPS with no leading if it is sized to your bore. I add a touch of solder to a 20 pound batch to help with fill out. They are the ultimate plinking bullet and I would not hesitate to bust Bambi with one.

E-mail me you address and I'll send you a few in the mail to try.
  • Options
    lksmith03lksmith03 Member Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    You can drive a quenched wheel-weight bullet to about 2300 FPS with no leading if it is sized to your bore. I add a touch of solder to a 20 pound batch to help with fill out. They are the ultimate plinking bullet and I would not hesitate to bust Bambi with one.

E-mail me you address and I'll send you a few in the mail to try.

+1
    I use cast bullets dropped straight from a mold into water and gas check them. They usually drop @178-180gr with a gas check. My 336 loves them and makes ragged hole groups at 50yds
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I shoot cast to 1400 with no gas check and with one to 2000fps with no issues. If you harden them by water quenching or heat treating in the oven, as bpost says you can go a bit faster.

You're never going to do 3000fps realistically, but then you wouldn't with a 30/30 anyhow.

My thought would be to load with a 200 gr flat nose and a load in the 2000fps range. The long 30/30 neck would take a fairly heavy cast bullet. Might not shoot flat but would have plenty of hitting power.