In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

243 sizer, form 243 from 308?

v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
Anyone with spare 243 FL sizer. I have the rest.
Is there a problem forming 243 from 308?

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    you will have to do it in 'steps' 308 to 7mm/08/or .260 to 6mm
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go slow and don't forget to lub. Sometimes the necks can get a little thick...watch out for pierced primers. (your first hint)
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I formed 243 from 308 back when I had access to lots of 308 brass and shot lots of 243. I always reamed the necks for safety and better accuracy.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do this quite often! To get an ideal if the necks are too thick, which I've never seen using name brand factory brass like winchester remington, mic the O.D of a 243 factory brass shell below the bullet, then mic the (a)308 to 243 brass after bullet is seated to see if the total O.D is greater than the factory shell! You can also check this measurement by referring to some reloading manuals! I then take a dremel grinder and grind off the 308 head stamp and label the carton 308 to 243 brass, using in 243 rifle only, etc! (I do this before I prime the brass)

I have done the brass in one step to 243 by doing such in about 3 steps with 243 die! (don't just jammer home) If you have a 264 or 260 sizer spud for the 243 die you can do in steps as mentioned above then to 243, but you can do to 243 in one shot by partically, then neck lube then , etc!!

I've also done the military 308 to 243 but the brass is thicker and harder and not as user friendly and some of the military requires neck turning!
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. But now I have a question. When I discovered I could neck down 30-06 Brass to use in 25-06 (which I don't have yet) I found that it could be done with one pass through the die. I also came to understand that for extended case life (actually for more than one use according to them) that I should have annealed the case PRIOR to necking it down. I only did three as an experiment (I have the dies but no 25-06) and wonder what ya'll think or have experienced. This is the site to which I refer:

June, 96 Cases - By Ken Howellquote:Neck annealing is often advisable, if not necessary, whenever you form a case neck to another caliber, as handloaders of most wildcat cartridges know. But we often form cases for one factory cartridge into the shape of another factory cartridge to make a custom case. This re-forming cold-works the brass, making it harder and more brittle. Annealing softens the neck, to offset the cold-working and to retain the resilience of softer brass. If the neck is to stay the same, but the body is to be blown out, annealing usually isn't necessary unless the expansion of the body is radical.http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/jun96cases.html

Also With This Article:
    Click here to view "When To Anneal."
    Click here to view "Safety Tip."
    Click here to view "Quenching Tip."
    Click here to view "Contacts."
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WW
    Some times annealing before helps (esp when going up in diameter) and sometimes it hurts (you can be to soft and crush the shoulder. It's just one of those things you have to try and see which way works better for the conversion being made.

A good reference is Donnelly's book "Hand loaders guide to cartridge conversions"
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner 1954:

Thanks for the reply. My concern was brittle brass from working it cold. I read, maybe on that site, that without annealing and necking down even one caliber you could split the neck with the first shot. Not something I would want to do if I could avoid it and save my brass for another shot. It also stressed the proper procedure to avoid over annealing and getting the brass to soft.

One of the reasons I asked was because a few years ago I found the site below which gave me instructions for turning my 86 pieces of .303 brass, another rifle I don't have, into .410 shells. Since I was casting some wheel weights at the time I annealed all the brass IAW his procedure. Unfortunately when I tried one in my old single shot .410 I couldn't close the bolt. I filed and sanded down the rim thickness until the bolt closed, primed it and loaded as per his instructions and fired. The case opened perfectly. It was a fun project but too much work without a belt sander or more correctly, time consuming, when I could purchase 25 pieces of factory brass for $14.00. I abandoned that project but with the knowledge that I can make some in a pinch. While I was at it I got 50 pieces for the .410 and 25 for 12, 16 and 20 gages just in case. You can get a special primer seat for a Mec Reloader and your good to go.

Anyway, I mention all this because the site gave another procedure, which was very easy, even for a novice, to anneal brass. Other than my two aforementioned projects I'm not experienced in making my own brass from a different caliber but it's a skill worth investigating. I was just wondering if anyone here has experienced shorter brass life that can actually be attributed to NOT annealing prior to resizing.

RELOADING .410 BORE SHOTSHELLS:
    Updated August 6, 2005
    This page has been updated again since I visited:
    Source Page: Updated April 12, 2008
    Reloading .410 Bore Shotshells
    http://www.endtimesreport.com/410reloading.html
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    WW
    The book I mentioned gives step by step instructions, including when he recommends annealing (before or after) for each conversion.
    IF your starting with "used" brass, that increases the chance of splitting (esp when necking up) due to previous cold working of the neck (another variable). A need to trim the neck is another variable, as trimming is easier with "hard necks" than it is with a "soft" one.

For your 303 Brit-410 conversion (or any other conversion that requires rim thinning), you should really remove brass from the front of the rim (requires a small lathe) to avoid causing the primer to stand proud of the case head (with the 410 you could cut the primer pocket deeper, but it's not something you want to do in a high pressure round).
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not read ALL of your concerns about necking down brass from 30-06 to 25 and 308 to 243! I'm just answering your concerns about needing to anneal the brass, before or after necking down!

From my own experience I've never had any problems with necks splitting or any problems at all if I used new or once fired brass such as Rem, Win, or Federal WHEN NECKING DOWN! If you attempt necking down with old brass that has been worn out from reloading you can have all kinds of problems! Winchester Brass in my exzperience seems to be the best for doing the process! Maybe it's a little softer or ????!

I do have some problems when necking up, like 243 to 308! This will have to be done in steps USUALLY and you will still collaspe some of the shoulder areas!
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The neck diameter of a loaded round should not be larger than .276" To big and pressure rises. A donut may form at the neck shoulder junction,to remove, this needs reaming or outside neck turning. When using a standard FLRS die to form 308 to 243, the shoulder may not be pushed back far enough for the round to chamber. Then you need a case forming die ,this die pushes the shoulder back more. These problems do not always happen, but watch for them to be safe.Look for pressure signs. Photos here > www.photobucket.com/joe1944usa 308brassina243pinchedbullet.jpg
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]