In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading the 223 rem. using federal brass

rp85rp85 Member Posts: 360 ✭✭✭
hello;

is there an issue reloading the 223 rem. using federal brass of recent manufacture (last 3 years)?

thanks for any input.

rp

Comments

• Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just remember to swage the primer pockets if the primers were crimped in!
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    None at all. You can use regular load data from your reloading manual rater than the 10% reduced data recommended when using military brass.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rp85,

As laylandad said swage the pockets. For the last few years Federal has produced about a 9 to 1 ratio of military to civilian ammo. As you know military has to be swaged. So, in order to save money, so I was told, civilian .223 was run just like 5.56 up to the point of powder charge.
    Meaning it was more cost effective to take and run all brass through all processes and divert "X" amount for civilian use.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Federal makes good brass.
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can remove the primer crimp with an RCBS chamfering tool[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 5mmgunguy
    Federal makes good brass.

I would say for being consistent, yes. However, as nn pointed out to me a few years ago when I said the same thing, they leave their brass a little on the soft side. Meaning hot loads seem to open up the primer pockets more easily than Winchester and especially Lapua.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe that was my problem with Federal brass.
    In the early '80s I threw out a whole case of Federal brass that was unsatisfactory for a wildcat I was working on.
    I forgot the reason but it was either brass not accepting severe rework or soft bases that enlarged pockets at test pressures around 50,000psi CUP.
    Too much effort went into modifying cases so the Federal brass was discarded.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some claim the primer pocket opens because of the thin construction. More photos here . www.photobucket.com/joe1944usa 223web.jpg
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 243winxb
    Some claim the primer pocket opens because of the thin construction. More photos here . www.photobucket.com/joe1944usa 223web.jpg

I would have to disagree with the Federal being only .047" thick at the web. I'm not sure that would even meet SAAMI specifications. Brass has a given strength, and with SAAMI's given specifications of 1 1/2 times the published limit I doubt a web that was only half as thick would suffice. On the other hand a web that was slightly softer would hold...a few times. But as noted the softness IMO is why Federal cases get loose primer pockets. I have pretty much found this across the board in all their calibers. Even when the Federal cases weigh more than their competition. I use the Hornady .257 Rob. brass @ 180 gr. vs. Federal +p @ 185 gr. Also, Winchester +p is 185 gr. and doesn't spread out like Federal when loaded hot. So I don't think it's a minimal sizing brass issue. I do believe it is a softness issue.

Edit:

I cut and measured brass from various makers. I did find that the Federal had a thinner web. Most of the Federal cases I measured ran around .060". Winchester commercial was .080" even though lighter in overall case weight. WCC was .080" also. Rem was .068". Federal military (from XM193 cases) was .078" The only one close to the Federal cases was Fiocchi @ .061"