In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bullet seating and crimping

My Barnes manual says:

Thread the seater die a few turns into the the press. Insert a case in the shell holder and lower the press handle to move the ram (with the cartridge case) to the top of the press stroke. Turn the body of the die down until it stops. The die's crimp shoulder should now be pressing against the top of the case mouth. Back the die out one turn...

Does this mean until I can't turn it anymore? Or does it mean, when I feel resistance because I'm on cartridge case?

The reason that I ask is because if I stop when I feel resistance, then I can screw the seater plug all the way down and it doesn't even touch the bullet.

Comments

• Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    RCBS, 45 ACP, taper crimp dies.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Read perryshooter's post above about crimping semi-auto rounds [;)]
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What your feeling , resistance wise , is more then likely the bell or flare that you put on the case after you resized it .

Take a factory or one of your loaded rounds and do the same thing as the manual tells you , then when you feel any resistance , stop and back it off a half turn or so , don't forget to back off on the seater plug before doing this .

after you have set that , you can screw down on the seater plug and be pretty close to the O.A.L , adjust up or down for a little longer or shorter , which ever you want .

Hope this helps .
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Screw it down on a sized, not yet belled case. when you feel it touch, lock it in place. Any remaining bell will get fixed in the taper crimp die.

If you do not have a taper crimp die, adjust the die down until the bell is gone and there is sufficient bullet tension, do not roll crimp the case into the bullet.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cameron check your email
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag
    Cameron check your email

Thanks. I sent a response.