In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

7.7 jap question

uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
How would I know if my soon to be 7.7 jap is a "last ditch" jap? I want to fire it and use it (has the mum too and everything) for hunting. Should i take it to a gunsmith? Thanks

-jd

Comments

• Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last ditch rifles were very roughStock,barrel looks like a file and fixed sights
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The one i am getting is very very clean. bore is really nice. The sights are tight. it doesn't look cheap. It looks very well put together. I am still going to take it to a gun smith.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Look at the bolt handle. Last ditch ones have a squared off one that looks like a beer barrel. Non-last ditch ones have an oval handle. Wood buttplate on most last ditches. As said, fixed sights on last ditch rifles.

Note these should use .311" bullets. Slug your bore. .312 may also be appropriate.

If NOT a last ditch rifle, the Arisaka action is the strongest military bolt action ever made, and you have nothing to worry about in the original caliber.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somebody will be along to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the rifles with mum intact are "captured" (as in picked up after a battle) as opposed to "surrendered" in which case the Jap solder removed or defaced the mum before turning loose of it. The mum was supposed to have some sacred significance.
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uni82:

My girlfriend's son brought his grandfathers gun over here for me to clean and inspect. It was missing some parts (the bolt assembly), which she had removed, and stored years earlier. Some how she misplaced the safety and firing pin spring. I cleaned it up and found another safety on e-bay. I got the firing pin spring from Numrich Gun Parts. During the course of all this I did considerable research on the Arisaka and determined I too NEEDED "one of that kind". I eventually found one with the Mum and all matching serial numbers. I also got a bayonet in the deal but with a different serial number. As the "Only gun I'm admitting to owning", I'm totally impress with this firearm as I'm sure you will be with yours. ONE of the sites you may find helpful in answering your question about being a "Last Ditch" will be answered to your satisfaction here:
    Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II
    http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/japanese_markings.html

If you reload, you'll need this source for brass: Buffalo Arms Co. - Japanese stuff. I have another order in now for more (PPU) but they don't expect to get any back in stock until September.

Arisaka Cartridges
    http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:gqA44pAmh84J:members.shaw.ca/nambuworld/arisakacartridges.htm+6.5mm+x+50+Japanese+Arisaka&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

And you may find this interesting:
    History, maintenance and refinishing:
    Collecting and Shooting the Arisaka Type 99 Rifle
    http://www.surplusrifle.com/arisaka/index.asp

Congratulations and I hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wow thanks for the websites! I just read over them. I have a type 99 by Nagoya made from 1939-1945. Now because I REALLY believe it is NOT a last ditch, it will place the fire arm being made right around 39'-42'. Doing research on loads i think it will handle a 175-180 gr bullet well. Thanks I appreciate it!

-JD
  • Options
    Wagon WheelWagon Wheel Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uni82:

YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!

I get EXCELLENT results Hornady's 174 Gr. Interlock. It's a .312 dia. (#3130) and I'm pretty sure it's the same bullet Norma uses in its factory loads. I can roll my own in PPU brass, when I can get it, for FAR less than $40.00 plus dollars for a box of 20, even with the cost of brass. (AND, I read that the Norma brass is slightly undersized.) I've also loaded some .311 dia. 150 Gr. HCSP "Hot-Cor's" by Speer.

I recommended to her son (although I can and do reload his empties) that he get some ammo stocked away. Even if just components. The Hornady bullets are as hard to get right now as the brass. Any loaded ammo is HARD to come by and generally expensive. HOWEVER, although not in stock you can backorder at both these sites:

If you don't reload here is some "plinking" ammo:
    I haven't used ANY factory ammo but I found these on line for her son. UNFORTUNAELY, if you place an order, you'll have to wait for them to stock/restock it.
    Precision Cartridge 7.7 x 58 Jap 150 Grn FMJ Ammo - $22.95 : Kingdom Arms Online!
    http://www.kingdomarms.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=641

And Hunting rounds:
    Hornady Metric Caliber Ammo
    HUNTING AMMO - Hornady 7.7 X 58 JAP - 150 Grain SP - $24.99/20 Rd Box
    Backorder Alert! 1-800-237-4444
    The item below is currently out of stock. Click on the Add to Cart button if you would like to backorder this item.
    Item: Hornady Metric Caliber Ammo
    Item number: QL - 215974 -- $24.99 Per 20.
    CAL/GAUG: 7.7X58 JAP
    This item is on backorder. Cabela's estimates it will take 1-2 weeks to ship this product.

IF you're going to play with it have some fun.
    Try this site:
    Border Barrels Bullet Trajectory form:
    http://www.border-barrels.com/trajectory.htm

BORDER BARRELS EXTERNAL BALLISTICS
    Bullet Drop, Terminal Velocity, Time of flight, Wind Drift and Energy calculator
    This is a powerful and flexible program, but the usual rule applies - garbage in, garbage out.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother has one that he had sporterised buy a gunsmith, Its a shooter and shoulder thumper.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guys, thanks again. You have been more than helpful. Definitely going to take yer advice and get the 174 grain hornady. It has only the airplane peep open sight and I will NOT mount a scope on it. It's going to stay original. I appreciate all your help. Are those "plinking ammo" reloadable for the brass? I might get it on paper with plinking ammo then reload the brass for fine tuning. Thanks again!

-JD