In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading for 38 Super

I have a bit of 38 Automatic reloaded ammo.
I no longer have a 38 auto pistol.
If I shoot the 38 ammo in a Super, I know it will not cycle the action.
I am aware that the brass has the same outside dimensions, but what about the web on the inside? I have not checked for volume differences.

My question is: is it safe to reload 38 automatic brass to 38 super power?
I will be sure to mark the boxes as 38 super to avoid any problems.

Thanks---Peabo

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    C&P from a web site.

Even though .38 ACP and .38 Super are the same size, it is dangerous to use .38 Super ammunition in a firearm chambered for .38 ACP. There are over a dozen autoloading pistol cartridges, both semi-rimmed and rimless, in this caliber. Often, foreign or ambiguous headstamps make identification impossible. When in doubt, it is best not to fire suspicious cartridges in any firearm.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MY .38 Super would cycle with .38 Auto level loads.

I had some .38 Auto brass which I loaded to standard .38 Super levels, but not IPSC Major overloads. I would not push it without doing some weighing and maybe cutting up a couple of pieces.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would think you could sell any brass you have that is marked 38AUTO for enough money to buy a like amount of 38 SUPER brass.Maybe even enough to trade for loaded 38Super ammo. There are a number of people out there wanting 38 auto brass. You can ship Brass by flat rate box using the USPS. you just cant ship ammo. I for one NEVER load any ammo that by reading the head-stamp may damage a gun if the gun matches the head stamp. I think it is OK to DOWN LOAD a case 38auto load in a 38super case but NOT the other way around. Just my $.02
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm with Perry of this, if nessesary get a lighter spring for the 'super', shoot the ammo & sell/trade the brass
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies, Gentlemen.
    You have confirmed my thoughts exactly.

Since I have the 38 auto loaded already, it would be easier to fire it than it would be to pull the bullets and powder. It would still have a live primer and punching that out would be doable but would have to be carefully done. I can fire it in a Super but if it will not cycle the action, it will be 'single shot'.

I am sure that there are people wanting 38 auto brass but I am not set up to sell on the auction side and trades are not allowed in these forums.

I'll just do the best I can with what I have and go from there.

Mike Whiskey, that is what I intend to try.

Thanks---Peabo