In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Initial Review

1988z011988z01 Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭
Hey Guys:

I had planned a while back to invest in a RCBS Auto Charge, but came across a deal on a new Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge I couldn't pass up.[;)] This is what I found.....so far.

The system was VERY easy to set up. There is a ONE PAGE DIRECTION sheet. It is front and back, and VERY easy to read. It is easy to calibrate; easy to ZERO; and easy to set your grain load. You can have it DISPENSE automatically or manually. Manually requires you to hit the DISCHARGE button each time. The AUTO mode automatically DISPENSES powder. There is also a TRICKLE button, and a setting for FAST, NORMAL, and SLOW for different types of powder flows.

I decided to load 20 cartridges for the 338 Lapua with some stuff I already had. I was loading 83 grains of IMR 4350. Not my usual load, but I'm waiting on powder, and 4350 is like Type 0+ Blood - my universal donor.

I entered everything in, and had it all set, AS DIRECTED. The first 5 rounds dispensed 83.0 grains PERFECTLY. Not sure if it was the heat, or what, but it began putting out a full grain too much. No problem. Opener up, dump er, and go again. You don't have to touch anything but the pan when in auto. It kept going a full grain over. Of course, it also lets you know that you are OVER if you go over by 0.1 grains. This problem kept on for the next five rounds. I then decided to recalibrate, rezero, etc. It kept doing it after a few times, as well as adjust the powder flow.

In the end, I set it to manual, and a full grain under (82.0 grains). After the initial DISPENSE, I hit the TRICKLE when the scale reached a little over 72.0 grains. I was able to take it right up to 83.0 with no problems. Powder comes out, JUST like in you hand trickler. If you get a clump of powder that falls, it effects it the same way on the Auto Charge.

Initial review here - I had some problems, but I think the HEAT and HUMIDITY in the garage played a roll. It was still A LOT FASTER than it would have been setting the scales, rechecking, etc. Tomorrow I am going to load some 22 Hornets. Interested to see how it does with smaller loads. Basically, this is a Hornady product. I am NOT WORRIED. I think that anyone that is interested in one of these would like it, and I am certain that I will get the hang of it.

[:D]If anyone has ANY insight they would like to provide, let me know![:D]

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just reviewed that machine also, and all he said is true. I had no such problems, however.

Try running the machine in Slow mode. It doesn't change the speed of the drop tube. What it does is give a longer "lead" before it shifts from fast dispense to trickle mode. The lead is about one grain in Normal mode and 1.5 grains in Slow. The lead is 0.5 grain in Fast.

Some powders I tested would consistently overrun the set weight when run in Fast mode, but hit the target weight perfectly in Normal or Slow. It seems to depend on the powder density and type.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rocky. I will try that here in a few. I am getting ready to work on some Hornets, and will be sure to try it out in a slow mode. I'm relatively please so far.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I have the Lyman and use it in the house where the heat and AC are on. No problems with it throwing more that a tenth difference.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just be advised that dispensing 1.5 grains of powder in Trickle can take a looooong time. I had some powders take over three MINUTES to run a single charge in Slow speed and Auto mode. It's FAR better to use Manual mode so you can use a Lee dipper or manual measure to get very close to your target weight, and then let the Hornady trickle it up.

But again, that's all dependent on powder type. Most charges ran about 26 to 28 seconds from beginning to end - and that's just about the time it takes me to seat a bullet in the prior case and inspect the next one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    2ND RUN

I just loaded 100 .22 Hornets with 9.5 grains of IMR 4198. I think I have fallen in love here. I slowed it down, and it was a lot cooler in the Load Room, so some of the variables I was worried about were not there.

SOOOOOO, as far as I can say this time, I only had an average of 1.5 overloads out of ten. NOT BAD AT ALL. I used the AUTOMATIC DISPENSE MODE, and had NO PROBLEMS.

I wish I could say my wife was as enthused about my new found efficiency as I am, but she AIN'T. I may do some 44's next. If anyone is considering one of these, I am sure you will not be disappointed. All the major ones boast .10 grain accuracy, and I wouldn't hesitate with any depending on the deal.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY FURTHER TRICKS FOR THIS SCALE, I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR THEM.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Good report, although anybody who'd use 4831 in the Hornet has to have his judgment seriously questioned from the * go.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Good report, although anybody who'd use 4831 in the Hornet has to have his judgment seriously questioned from the * go.

I meant IMR 4198. I started loading some .270 Winchesters right after, so I had 4831 on he brain. Everything has been corrected.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not surprised. Happens to all of us (which is why ANY load data on the internet ought to be suspect!)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I'm not surprised. Happens to all of us (which is why ANY load data on the internet ought to be suspect!)

Amen to that. I've seen some crazy loads, and a lot of folks that think a 100 grain bullet is just like any other 100 grain bullet, regardless of the manufacturer. Scary stuff can happen when you take this stuff for granted.