In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ruger Vaquero, .45 Colt, 250-gr XTP, 2400

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
I've reloaded some lead "plinking rounds" which I coincidentally used to bring down that boar a few weeks ago (230 gr SWC, 8.5 Unique, neck-shot, 50 yards). Now I'd like to load up some 250-grain Hornady XTP loads. The Hornady manual lists a load using 2400 powder with this bullet under the heading "Ruger and T/C". It specifies these loads are only for the Ruger Blackhawk and T/C Contender. As I understand it, the Vaquero is nothing more than a New Model Blackhawk with a countoured frame minus adjustable sights. I've been told that I can run anything through this Vaquero that is safe to run through a Blackhawk.

From Page 912 of Hornady's 7th Edition:

#45220 XTP Mag (250-grain bullet)

2400: Min -- 20.4 gr Max -- 23.9 gr

I'd like to start out at 21 grains. This is another hog-killing load.

Oh yeah...I forgot to mention...

My Vaquero isn't one of the "New Model Vaquero" pistols with the thinner cylinder walls and lighter frame. This is the previous heavier Blackhawk-frame model.

Am I correct in assuming I can reload anything for my Vaquero that is safe for a Blackhawk?

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't that section Ruger SUPER Blackhawk and T/C ?
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "SUPER" Blackhawk is a .44
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by brier-49
    Isn't that section Ruger SUPER Blackhawk and T/C ?

No. It says T/C and Ruger Blackhawk.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be fine with the old style Vaquero so long as you follow standard practice with any gun and work up slow. The load you list should put you somewhere in the teens. To each his own, but with my .44, after years of 1,350 fps and 240 XTP's in my .44, I've concluded that a load giving 1,000 fps or so with XTP or hard cast, does all I need. Plenty powerful enough for large eastern whitetails at my self imposed range of about 50 yards with iron sights and 75 scoped.
  • Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load 45 Colt for a Blackhawk & FA M97 with 2400 & 250 gr XTPs. Your Ruger is a Blackhawk without adjustable sights. You should be fine. My loads are only doing about 1100-1200 fps.
    Good accuracy & plenty of power.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    200+ lb boar at 50 - 70 yards (ish). .452" 230-grain SWC bullet cast from wheel weights. 8.5 grains Unique.

Boar28May102.jpg