In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Changing powder in the hopper

What's your procedure for changing the hopper from one powder to another?

I made the mistake of leaving the Accurate Arms #9 in the hopper. Some of it is now caked. I guess that I didn't get all of the grease out of the brand new hopper.

Do you leave the powder in the hopper? Do you empty it back into the container immediately after you're done reloading? What do you do when you are changing from one kind of powder to another?

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never leave the powder in the hopper. When you are done put it back in the can. That way you don't forget what is in the hopper.
  • Options
    dthhaldthhal Member Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1

Always clean the hopper out. I have even used the air hose on occasion to "lightly" blow out the dispenser nozzel. I use a soft bristle brush to clean out the hopper.
  • Options
    calrugerfancalrugerfan Member Posts: 18,209
    edited November -1
    So to change it, you basically treat it as if you're done (clean the hopper) then put the new powder in?

What is the best way to empty the hopper? I started by pulling the lever over and over, but I don't think that's the most efficient way.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I try to run it mostly out. when I get down, I start weighing each charge. When it gets to where it is no longer reliable, I either fill more, or stop, and pour out the powder into my Waste Powder container.

I NEVER pour powder into a Powder Bottle to use. Powder in my operation only flows from the original container into my Powder column, there to be measured and charged into Shells.

I've seen the results of OOOpps Wrong Powder!, and don't want to be present when it happens.

I almost NEVER leave powder in the Powder Column - when I do, it is usually for only overnight, and when It happens, I run about ten or so charges through, and discard, then Weigh to see it has settled right back to the desired weight.
  • Options
    HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    Oh, yeah - to unload the Hopper - I use Dillon, and only have to undo one screw, and flip a lock device, and the whole shebang lifts off to pour/clean.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I have a flat plate that the measure screws into. 'C' clamp it to the plate I use under the press. Then I can take the WHOLE MEASURE OFF and dump it.

The measures on the Dillions are a bit more trouble. Unscrew and dump.

Leaving powder in the plastic hoppers will eventually discolor the plastic...to the point of becoming opaque.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have an RCBS digital. It has a place to dump out the hopper. Then I just run it for a couple seconds to get the left overs out of the dispenser. If they all wont come out I shoot it with air.

Before I bought the digital I too had a setup like Highball is describing. Sort of a quick release then you can just dump the powder back in the container.

I love my digital. Much easier to maintain. IMO.
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I unscrew my RCBS from the stand and dump it back in the powder canister. I then use a rag to wipe out all residue.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dthhal
    I have an RCBS digital. It has a place to dump out the hopper. Then I just run it for a couple seconds to get the left overs out of the dispenser. If they all wont come out I shoot it with air.

Before I bought the digital I too had a setup like Highball is describing. Sort of a quick release then you can just dump the powder back in the container.

The actual HOPPER is digital? I have an RCBS but it isn't digital.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How to empty it varies a bit with the type of measure. The old drum-style measures are emptied by removing them and dumping out the reservoir (using a funnel) into the original powder can. Need I remind anyone to NEVER have more than one powder can on your bench?

The new digital dispenser/scale units can't be turned upside down or the scale may be damaged. Those will have a dump chute of one kind or other. You may have to place the unit at the edge of your bench to get a powder can under it, or use a container short enough to fit and then empty that back into the proper powder can.

However you do it, ALWAYS empty the reservoir after every reloading session, even if you will be loading again soon. Some powders react with the plastics in reservoirs. That not only discolors or even melts the reservoir, but chemically alters the powder in unpredictable ways. The other error is forgetting what's in the reservoir and either loading with the wrong powder, or mixing two powders in the reservoir or powder can.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    The only dispenser I leave powder in is my handgun progressive dispenser. As I use bullseye in everything from .32 to .45 I always know what will be in it. Even then, it is a damp basement so I only leave it in for a few days if I'm going to be reloading say over a whole weekend. When utterly done, it goes back in the can.

For rifles, I empty it after every use.

For both, I just undo the hopper and dump into the can via funnel.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by calrugerfan
    quote:Originally posted by dthhal

The actual HOPPER is digital? I have an RCBS but it isn't digital.

Ha. No the scale is digital but it links to the hopper. All I have to do is set the charge weight and it auto dispenses the powder. Very nice and I likey.[:D]
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be aware, jonk, that Bullseye is perhaps THE most corrosive powder we have, in relation to plastic hoppers. That's due to its high nitroglycerin content. The stuff eats hoppers - and takes in who-knows-what chemicals from the plastic in the process.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never leave powder in the hopper, it will absorb moisture and the air will deteriorate it more quickly, thus giving erratic burn results.
  • Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    a friend failed to empty his, he was reloading away.
    he went from 223 to 308 to 300wsm, but he has different powder.
    needless to say, he is not firing any of his reloads from monday night.
    fear of blowing a gun up,