In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I need a good resource for A.I. reloading data...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
Does anyone know of any good reloading resources for A.I. chamberings? My .300 Win Mag A.I. is due back from the gunsmith in the next week or two and I'm itching to start looking at some loads for it.[:p]

Eric
allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Eric,

The P.O. Ackley books will give you a lot of information regarding the Improved cartridges and loading information. Be careful with the load info as Ackley was known to run a bit hot. Brownells and Midway both carry the set.

Now, on the other hand, how much improvement can there be on a belted cartridge that is nearly improved already except for the neck angle? 2 or 3 grains, maybe 5 at the most? Even if you blow out the shoulder to 0.500" and move it forward to the 40 degree angle, I doubt that you'll get more than that. You could push the shoulder back, making the neck longer like it should be on the 300 Win. Mag., then blow the shoulder out a bit but your net gain in capacity will be slightly less than 1st method. In other words, start with the normal 300 Win. Mag. loads and work your way up just as if it was the standard cartridge.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm all for experimentation with cartridges and the answer of "because I want it" goes a long way with me. It is the ultimate reason for anything to do with firearms. It's just that there are better avenues to explore, in my opinion... no offense.

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as nononsense stated,..when only slightly improving the parent,..just start mid way through the parent load data and work up slowly. Don't be suprised to get to max at the same time as the book says for the parent as match reamers can often by tigher than the one used in the manual. If your reamer is short throated,..that can very easily be the case. You will, if nothing else, gain more case life at similar pressures to the parent. My match 300RUM chamber gets to nowhere near the book max before pressure,..but it is a tight match reamer, so watch for signs. Mine show up in loose primer pockets,..sometimes stiff bolts don't show up till wayyy too much pressure, so pay attention in your new barrel.

Isn't that the 308Baer or some other BR caliber? I know there is the 30hart (300 wthby imp) but what is the name of the 300win imp?

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The 308 Baer is another 300 Weatherby Improved.

The 300 Jarrett is the 8mm Rem. Mag. necked down to .30 caliber.

And there are probably at least a dozen more that some out-of-the-way gunsmiths have done for special clients.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NN,..what are the dimensional diifs between the 30hart and the 308baer? You have a preference either way?

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,

I don't have a drawing of either cartridge because they are both proprietary and the makers keep these pretty close. I suspicion that there isn't a nickles worth of difference between the two. All that has to change is a single significant dimension for either to qualify as proprietary. They are both successful long range target and hunting cartridges and I don't have a preference for either one over the other. Actually, I shoot the standard 300 Weatherby in one of my F-Class rifles but it doesn't have the factory freebore, only about 0.100" and a longer throat with a slightly different angle. I true the belts to be the same dimension from the rim and then fireform each case for contact at the shoulder as well. I neck size from then on until they get a little stiff to chamber.

I'm also working on a variation of David Tooley's .30 BooBoo, which is the 8 x 68S necked down to 30 caliber and improved. They're all pretty close to each other but the BooBoo is rimless and the other two are belted. David is shooting a 7mm BooBoo extremely well right now, also.

I want to play around with the 7mm STW and the 7mm Dakota for a while and see what those will do.

Sorry, I wondered...

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Eric,

The P.O. Ackley books will give you a lot of information regarding the Improved cartridges and loading information. Be careful with the load info as Ackley was known to run a bit hot. Brownells and Midway both carry the set.

Now, on the other hand, how much improvement can there be on a belted cartridge that is nearly improved already except for the neck angle? 2 or 3 grains, maybe 5 at the most? Even if you blow out the shoulder to 0.500" and move it forward to the 40 degree angle, I doubt that you'll get more than that. You could push the shoulder back, making the neck longer like it should be on the 300 Win. Mag., then blow the shoulder out a bit but your net gain in capacity will be slightly less than 1st method. In other words, start with the normal 300 Win. Mag. loads and work your way up just as if it was the standard cartridge.

Don't misunderstand me, I'm all for experimentation with cartridges and the answer of "because I want it" goes a long way with me. It is the ultimate reason for anything to do with firearms. It's just that there are better avenues to explore, in my opinion... no offense.

Best.

One of the main reasons I went with the A.I. was for longer case life. I just want to be able to push a 220 grain pill at 2800 fps and I'll be happy! I might even end up using 210's. This is just a hunting set up. I had my gunsmith put a med weight Lilja barrel on it, along with a new Jewell trigger and a few other little things. I also had the rig cryo'ed to help with barrel life...used a 700 action.

My custom .338 Lapua is going to be my next project...that's going to be my 1000 yard rig...just have to get the $$$ together first[^]

Eric
    allamericanarmsco@frontiernet.net

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    For initial loading, particularly with wildcats, I prefer using the Powley Computer as the means of getting the first loads.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ray,

I typed in Powley computer and it took me to an advanced IMR reloading site. I don't have time to investigate right now but it would sure be a help(I hope) in determining what loads to start working up from when using VV in the new short/super short mags. VV produces a lot of power for it's burn rates.

We have the second amendment so that all the rest are secure....UNK>
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's the electronic Powley computer. The original cardboard slide rule types are hard to find but this will work O.K.

http://www.nfa.ca/cfj-archive/reloading/powley-computer-instructions.html

The better bet is to use one of the new load calculating programs available as freeware or purchase.

http://stevespages.com/page8b.htm

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

I much appreciate the information. I am and will be digesting it for a while...no it isn't as good as the chicken-penne at Jensens Supper Club last night, but almost... I may need to do some upgrades to my computer to get it downloaded.

• Options
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

One of my favorite past times used to be stopping at Supper Clubs while on my way through Wisconsin. I can still remember some of those meals...

I didn't take the time for anything fancy last night but I had a batch of poblano sopa that was ready and a bowl of that with some homemade corn bread was pretty tasty. Simple pleasures.

I don't know what type of system that you're operating but some of the simple programs don't require much and are surprisingly helpful. It's better to start with those anyway, I think you learn more. Most if not all of the boxes these days come with math co-processors so running one of these programs shouldn't be hard on your system.

stevespages has a good list or you can do a search for "interior ballistics calculators" and see what other freeware is available. It's best to get your feet wet with some of the easier (and free) programs before jumping into something such as QuickLoad and QuickTarget. These are very powderful calculation programs and pretty pricey at $150.00 a copy.

There is an exterior program available in XL format that will run on a Palm or similar type PDAs which can be handy in the field when you have time to use it. It is based on the formulas by Arthur Pejsa and prove to be a bit more accurate than the traditional G1 calculations.

http://www.jacksonrifles.com/files/pejsa ballistics.xls

And Perry Systems Exbal:

http://www.perry-systems.com/

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense,

I have to ask is poblano sopa anything like Portuguese 'sopas'? Very spicy brisket soup/stew cooked all day and served over bread(cornbread in your case). I ask because my wife is Portuguese and that is on the menu often enough.

Anyhow, the information provided is great! I'm digging into it as I get the chance. I'm still working comparisons on the starting loads. I guess it shows that while I've been there and done a few things it still helps to ask questions. This would have helped tremendously working up Vihtavuori loads for my 25 WSSM. In determining a starting load for that I went with the minimum of 4350 and dropped a couple grains. At the range the feeling was it was going to be an anemic load...instead it started out way too hot! backing off a grain still showed too hot. I immediately dropped 4 gr. and began working up...as opposed to being on the wrong side of this working down. One factor that I didn't interpolate in was the difference that same powder was reduced in the short magnums vs. the regular magnums when using 4350 vs. Vihtavuori. I only used similar cases for comparison. Thanks again for the information. -Todd

• Options
    edited November -1
    sandwarrior,

Now you've gone and done it![:D]

Does she do carryout?

Please ask you wife if she is willing to share her 'stew' recipe with me. I've sent the Poblano Sopas recipe to you via e-mail. They are not the same, this is just a simple cream pepper soup, no meat. But the flavor is out of this world! Very deep and rich, almost velvety, perfect for the cooler times of the year.

Just a couple of observations about these programs. I know that you are smart enough to recognize this but I will pass it on anyway.

All of this data that is produced through these programs is for reference only. There are simply too many variables out there for a generic calculator to take into account accurately. But, it does provide a good reference point from which to check your loads against the books to see if you're in the ball park.

The Powley computations are based on IMR powders alone. Go carefully when trying to generate data for other powders.

Always "shoot your loads in" when checking the electronic generated drop charts especially for the longer ranges. Most of these work on the G1 calculations and the G5 calculations are better suited. The G5's give a lower BC and it makes the manufacturers look bad until you start to compare all of the BC's generated in the G5 design. So shoot the loads and measure the drops on the target, then write out your come ups and drift.

The machines stopped, I have to get back to work.

Best.

rifleman.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here's the electronic Powley computer. The original cardboard slide rule types are hard to find but this will work O.K.

http://www.nfa.ca/cfj-archive/reloading/powley-computer-instructions.html

The better bet is to use one of the new load calculating programs available as freeware or purchase.

http://stevespages.com/page8b.htm

rifleman.gif

NN...do you have a current link for the powley computer? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ECC,

WOW! You really had to dig back for this thread!

Current Powley electronic computer:

http://kwk.us/powley.html

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ECC,

WOW! You really had to dig back for this thread!

Current Powley electronic computer:

http://kwk.us/powley.html

Best.

Thank you!

BTW...do you know of an online source that might give me a tutorial on how to use the Powley Computer??? Thanks again!