In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5 Grendel loads

DAMMITDONDAMMITDON Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
I am having trouble finding loading data.what is your faveorate load for 123 or 125 bullet?

Comments

• Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go to http://www.alexanderarms.com/ They have load data there. Also, try Accurate powder website and Ramshot. Not sure if Hod/IMR website has any. For that weight of bullet I think you may want to start with Acc 2520 or possibly TAC.

I'm still putting mine together and getting my data started, I think Sandwarrior has done soom work with one, Im sure he'll chime in when he see's this.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DAMMITDON,

As skyfish noted, go to www.alexanderarms.com then go to 6.5 Grendel and the last thing on the list there is Reloading data. download both the AA and the Wolf. The Wolf uses large primer and the AA uses small primer. Make sure you use the right data for each.

As far as my best load for accuracy I believe it was using large rifle and H4895 behind a Lapua 123 gr. Scenar. That gave me just over 2500 fps, and just under .5 MOA @ 100. for best velocity and still very good accuracy I used the AA2520. For whatever reason that powder just fits the 123 gr. niche just right and you get 75-100 fps faster than anything else.

As a side note I will say that while this round is NOT the hot-rod some think it to be it is well worth pursuing. With the right bullets, not all bullets, it will get you to 1k faster than a .308 and thus less drift and drop. But remember it's not the next .260 or 6.5 wonder wagon. It gets you to 1k as well as anything else from an AR-15 platform. That's it. It will also give you very flat shooting lighter bullets that are easily good to 500-600 yds. My favorite was the Sierra 85 gr. @ 2880.

Obviously, the big limitation here is that most want this round in the AR-15. Which is a good platform for it to be in. The thing everyone needs to remember is all the bolt action rules of how to gain velocity are out. Too high initial pressure and you stand a chance of breaking the bolt. Although there are some rifles/bolts being made stronger to rectify this. You can only use so slow of a powder and that in only so short of a barrel. The longer burn creates a higher pressure at the port and thus more pressure down the gas system back and unlocking the bolt early.
    If you will note regarding that there are very tight limitations on both the bottom and top end loads for various powders. Stick within those for that reason.

-Good luck.
  • Options
    DAMMITDONDAMMITDON Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Found the info with your help,thanks.Don